Just want to listen to my music

A

AC Question

I've got a new Moto Z Force Droid but am brand new to Android coming from Windows. One of the few things I want to do is transfer my music library from my laptop to the phone and be able to listen to it. Not interested in Play as I don't want to stream anything. As a certified senior my tech skills and experience are fairly minimal. Help.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Connect the phone to the computer using the USB charging cable.
Unlock the phone's security screen.
Accept the connection from the computer.
Verify that the connection type is MTP.
If Windows did not automatically install the drivers for the phone, you may need to go to Moto's and download them.
On the computer, use Windows File Explorer to view the phone.
Create a folder to hold your music. If your phone has an SD card, put the folder there instead of the phone's internal storage.
Copy the music from your computer to the new folder on the phone.

Using the phone's file browser app, verify that the music did get stored on the phone.
Disconnect the phone from the computer.
Play the music using your favorite music player app.
If the music app does not see the new files, reboot the phone to jump start the indexing service.

rickinnh

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm feeling kinda dumb but am not getting an opportunity to "accept the connection" when I connect with the laptop. Matter of fact, there's no acknowledgement at all that I've done anything beyond adding "XT1650" to the File Explorer page on the laptop. Clicking seems to accomplish nothing at all. So I can't verify that the connection is MTP either. Or choose to use the SD card for storage.

Got any music player app suggestions?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm feeling kinda dumb but am not getting an opportunity to "accept the connection" when I connect with the laptop. Matter of fact, there's no acknowledgement at all that I've done anything beyond adding "XT1650" to the File Explorer page on the laptop. Clicking seems to accomplish nothing at all. So I can't verify that the connection is MTP either. Or choose to use the SD card for storage.

Got any music player app suggestions?
What happens on the phone when you connect it to the computer?

I have no recommendations for music players. I use the default one that came with my AT&T branded LG G4.
PowerAmp is a popular player, but I have never used it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel. Do you see anything pertaining to USB there? If so, tap it and make sure MTP is selected

I think Google Play Music is actually a pretty good music player app in itself. You can always turn on the Downloaded Only switch so that it doesn't look for your music in the cloud.

Otherwise, besides ManiacJoe's suggestion for PowerAmp, I would also add MortPlayer Music, which is a lightweight app, and is also folder-based, so you don't have to rely on the embedded ID3 tags in the music files.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol