how do I update my galaxy note 3 without wifi

A

AC Question

I have a galaxy note 3 that won't update without wifi. How do I get it to update without the wifi. To be clear this is the os update that the phone says it needs.

Jason Carrico

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I guess I should also mention that I took the phone back to factory settings, completely erased everything. I'm giving it to my son to play games on, no sim. I've read seveal threads and tried, in vain, to find a setting allowing updates via wireless data. We live in the middle of nowhere so the closest wifi Hotspot is 35 miles from my home.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I guess I should also mention that I took the phone back to factory settings, completely erased everything. I'm giving it to my son to play games on, no sim. I've read seveal threads and tried, in vain, to find a setting allowing updates via wireless data. We live in the middle of nowhere so the closest wifi Hotspot is 35 miles from my home.
Welcome. :)

If you go to Settings, About Phone, Software Update, presumably that is set to update over wifi-only? If so, and you uncheck/untick that box, then tap Update Now, does the option to do so over mobile data appear?

Jason Carrico

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Those options would be great if I had a computer. But, we don't have a laptop. We don't have a desktop. We don't have fiber optic or cable. We don't even have access to dial up as att abandoned the phone lines out here 2 years ago. What I do have is cellular data. That's it. Cellular data is the ONLY Internet access we have.

How do I download a device update using cellular data only?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tricky situation. Do you or any friends/family have a device you can tether the phone to? That is, turn on the wi-fi hotspot of the other phone, then use your phone's wi-fi to connect to the hotspot. Be aware that this will still count towards that account's data allotment, and many wireless plans limit the monthly tethering amount.

Jason Carrico

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks B. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. My wife and daughters phones both only get 4 gig a month, go phones. They still have unlimited at a slower bit rate, but it will just time out trying to do the 335Mb update the phone wants. I'll have a new Moto X Pure tomorrow or the next day. I should be able to wifi Hotspot it and dowe load everything then. Why the rush? The second post says it. My son is 5 and he knows dad's phone is about to be his and he is so far up my *** right now I can't even **** alone. I should have waited til I had my new phone to tell him. Totally my fault. But I digress, thanks for the replies and I will be keeping you guys in the favorites list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance