Well, today I bought new smartphone with android 6.0 and for few hours I have been unable to find a way to set a custom tone for notifications. I can set a custom one for rings when going into my music, but not for SMS nor Gmail.

Please take a notice, that I am fairly new to the smartphones and totally new to the newer versions android itself, but I do know my way around. I tried to look everywhere and could not find it.

Can anyone please tell me how to set this thing? Apart of searching in default SMS app, I tried two different apps: Hangouts and Textra SMS to change the notification sound, but no luck. I feel really lost.
    02-16-2017 01:20 PM
    On my LG G4, the basic notification sound is found nowhere near the ringtone at
    settings / sound & notifications / more / default notification sound

From inside Textra
    settings / customize notifications / notification sound
    02-16-2017 04:37 PM
    On Samsung devices you open messages... More... Settings... Notification on... Notifications sounds...
    But you also have to have notifications volume up in the volume settings in sounds and vibrations where you can also choose what sound you get...
    02-16-2017 11:50 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You also have to make sure your custom tone is saved to the Notifications directory (not the Ringtones directory).
    02-17-2017 12:53 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You also have to make sure your custom tone is saved to the Notifications directory (not the Ringtones directory).
    Is that a carrier/OEM limitation?
    My ATT branded LG G4 on Android 6.0.x does just fine having the notification files in the ringtones folder.
    02-17-2017 06:27 PM
    Interesting -- on all of my Nexus devices (and I think my ASUS Zenfone 2), the system would differentiate between those various directories when looking for custom tones. Just checked my 6P -- when choosing a ringtone, I don't see any of my custom tones that are in the Notifications directory, and vice-versa.
    02-17-2017 06:33 PM
    I might find that separation useful.
    Any time I pick a new notification sound, I need to test it to make sure it is a short tone instead of a long one.
    02-17-2017 06:47 PM