Why is my Samsung J1 (2016) overheating when not in standby?

whatdoistandfor

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
I have a rooted Samsung SM-J120M. The phone feels warmer than usual in the area just above the Home button, on both sides of the device. Sometimes it gets hot just by powering on, even when it's cold out. I checked CPU-Z and the phone's CPU gets to 49° C (120° F), but the battery only gets to 33° C (92° F) However, when I boot in my custom recovery the phone never overheats like this.
I deleted all the bloatware apps. My microSD card is fine. I don't know what else could be causing this.
Any help would be great since this phone's become useful to me.
Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's your cell signal like? Poor signal makes the phone work harder to maintain that signal, which can in turn cause it to heat up.

whatdoistandfor

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What's your cell signal like? Poor signal makes the phone work harder to maintain that signal, which can in turn cause it to heat up.
Thank you.
I just realized that the phone gets really hot the moment I turn on Wi-Fi or charge it. It's a small section right above the "Recent Apps" button that becomes hot to the touch. This never happened to me before.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any rooting experience, so I probably won't be able to help further. Although I wonder if you might have deleted some piece of bloatware that was actually important (or perhaps interacted with some other important system component, and the lack of it is now causing the overheating problem).

Is there anything in the battery stats that jumps out at you when the phone gets that warm? You'd probably have to let it run warm for a little while before the culprit showed up as a significant percentage in the battery stats.

whatdoistandfor

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I think that's it. I deleted Facebook, and a few related system apps like Fb App Manager and Fb App Installer. But I reinstalled it a different way. Then I deleted it again. I'll check the battery stats, then see if I can restore the bloatware.