Why does android keep adding apps and features I don't want?

aratchetman1

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I've been using Android phones since 2009. X10, S3, S5, note4. Every update makes the device perform more poorly and nag me more. Every app want's to start notifying me about all sorts of things that I don't care about. Bluetooth for example starts scanning automatically every time it's switched on. Maps tries to download all sorts of links onto the map when I'm just trying to get my job done. Meanwhile it's so slow because of all the automatic nonsense I don't want and can't control. I hate Android so much that I would even use an Apple phone. Do I have to root my phone and use a custom ROM to get some measure of control? If only there was a 3rd player.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can prevent Bluetooth or wi-fi scanning from turning on by refusing any time the phone asks you if you want to improve accuracy. With Google Maps, if you do this once, it shouldn't ask you again. When I want to use more precise location, I manually switch Location from Battery Saving to High Accuracy (which doesn't automatically turn on the scanning options).

I'm not sure what links Maps is trying to download. Are you talking about how it shows your contacts on the map, or upcoming appointments? Or perhaps it's trying to download your area as an Offline area? Open Maps, tap Menu>Offline Areas, then tap the gear icon, and try turning off those options.

If you gave more examples of automatic nonsense, we might be able to give you advice on how to disable or optimize it. Also, be aware that when Google comes out with a major system update, it's up to the phone manufacturers and carriers to modify the base code so that it works correctly with all of the different hardware, firmware, and bloatware. If these modifications aren't done well, then one of the results can be poor performance. If you want to avoid this kind of nonsense, then I strongly recommend going with Nexus/Pixel devices, since you're getting Android directly from Google.

aratchetman1

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
My phone scans for blue tooth every time even if I say no to improved location accuracy. It nags me every time about that too. Lately I've been triggering all sorts of configuration wizards. Seems like every app has to try to ask me about each permission it wants one at a time. It's horrible because I use the phone for work and just want to do my job. Android is looking like a poor choice for the workplace now. Car mode is a nightmare. It can't understand a single voice command and only a few contacts are available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde