Android OS high percentage, battery draining way quicker than ever before! Help!

A

AC Question

I have had my Droid Mini for a few years, never had any major issues. For the last few days though, I've noticed the Android OS is the highest level on the battery use screen, at between 30%-40%. I never keep WiFi on constantly, I have all my apps set at the lowest use level, location at the battery saver mode, etc. I only turn on WiFi or Data when I'm on a break at work to check Facebook, etc. I've changed NOTHING in the apps that I regularly use yet the battery is draining super fast! I've done several searches over the last couple days to see what people in the same situation have done, but nothing seems to work (the cache clear was one). I've not downloaded any new apps on my phone in this time frame either, so really am at a loss as to what's going on.

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I have tried the reboot where you power down, then do the volume up/power button thing and it goes into the alternate screen and clears out cache (sorry for lack of better terms, this is all new to me). Yesterday I also shut down my phone, left it off all afternoon, then charged it fully (while still off) when I got home from work. No change from before. I regularly shut phone down completely and restart a few times a week; phone is left on overnight (with WiFi off, in sleep mode) while charging; this is what I've always done.

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I guess I should state that I am the one who posted the initial question, I have a user name now that I've created an account on here. Update---my phone has gone from about 64% battery to 44% (!) with only approx. 10 min. of usage (data on, Facebook check, email check); otherwise phone has been idle, doing NOTHING. What in the world is going on? I refuse to believe it's because the phone is a few years old....why would this just start happening all of a sudden and so quickly?

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
the most recent app that updated right before it started was AccuWeather, which I've had since getting the phone. I did a device check through the My Verizon, and it appeared that WAS indeed what was causing background date to be used with its updating and not shutting down, but I found that strange as, again, I've used this app for years and never had this problem before. I uninstalled the app, rebooted my phone, and it STILL appeared the quicker battery drain was going on, and with Android OS still showing a high percentage in the Battery usage screen. I am currently letting the phone die out and shut down on its own, will recharge over night (leaving it off while it charges) and see what tomorrow brings....

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it always seems like an app alters a setting or gets 'stuck' causing extremely high battery usage. Try turning off location services for a small period of time and see if that helps. Can slowly narrow it down at least.

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
There is no option to turn location services completely off. I always have it kept in "battery saving" mode. I uninstalled Google Maps a long time ago because that seemed to be using too much battery too. Even though I've uninstalled the AccuWeather app, this high OS battery usage is still happening (it's 46% right now)!
I'm currently at 45% battery; it was at 100% this morning when I woke up, and I've barely used my phone. It usually lasts me the entire work day and into the evening when I return home.
I'm at a loss as to what to do....I guess I could run another Device Check through the My Verizon app....
I'm very appreciative to everyone that has replied and tried to help.

Rocket94

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Im having the same issue you are having and from the date that you posted this thread it happened around the same time. Mine started on Friday March 17, I went and cleaned out my cache for some apps and it did help with the Android using so much battery but on Monday it started again and I have no clue how to stop it now. I'm like you and hardly use my phone but yet I need to start charging it a few times a day. Seems weird that we have the same phones and they both started doing this around the same time so maybe its a update issue but I'm not good with the computer stuff so I have no clue. You you figured out a solution please let me know.

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
nope, no solution. Phone has been running just fine, but the battery suck has NOT changed one iota! I figured since I've had the phone for awhile (it'll be 3 years in May), perhaps the battery has just started to go bad or whatever....still, not happy. Getting a new phone very soon though...but for now, I've become used to having to charge the phone every 8 hours instead of having it last the usual full work day and partial night :(

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
if it was Fbook that was doing the draining, wouldn't that show up as the highest percentage in the battery usage breakdown, NOT "Android OS" though?
It might be requesting location or other stuff like that. An Android system app obliges, and gets the blame. Only doing its job. :)

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
no luck whatsoever. I uninstalled Facebook over the weekend and there was no change to the battery drain situation. I have reinstalled it (since it's an app that I do use daily), & Android OS is currently at 50%. le sigh.

Bobaf2

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I have nothing extra added to my phone; it's an internal only battery, and whatever SD card came on it when I first bought it (I'm assuming it has one). Tried to check the phone stats to see exactly what I have but I don't anything listed for an SD card (I thought all phones had them?)

Rocket94

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Android OS high percenSo thistage, battery draining way quicker than ever before! Help!

So the only thing I have found to keep the Android OS from running the battery down is to turn off WiFi and I turned off Facebook messenger also which sucks. which for a cell phone this sucks but is a fix for now until I figure out what to do next. At least I can text and call if I have to when I'm away from home and have no charger. Probably should get a new phone also. While googling trying to figure out a solution I did see where other phones had the same issues but no solution also thought maybe its better to wait awhile before getting a new phone in case this is a problem with other phones. I don't know much about cell phones but this is my solution for the moment since to do my one job I need to be able to get texts.

Rocket94

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Android OS high percenSo thistage, battery draining way quicker than ever before! Help!

Oh and I also have my data turned off from before cause it ran my google play to the point it was running my battery down.. ugh. to it all who needs to be social anyways I guess. I do use my wifi at home and cause im able to charge my phone easier.