move apps and data to sd card galaxy s7

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Just got an S7 as a replacement for my Note 5 which got shot through my snow thrower. I upgraded the S7 to Nougat this afternoon. After restoring all my apps, data, etc., I am using 30.08 GB of 32 total so I bought a 128 GB SanDisk MicroSDXC and installed it. The S7 found & formatted it.

I've read 3 different "how-tos" and none of them have been correct as far as my finding any of the prompts they list. Exactly how the hell do I move *any*thing over to the SD card?

Thanks!!

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The easiest way is surely using mobile apps to do that. You can search "App to SD" and "File to SD" on Google play, and those apps should guide you through all the operations.

Have no idea which "how-tos" you have read, but it is actually very easy to move data and app to SD card as long as your phone is working fine.
1. Move files to SD card on your phone. Since your S7 can find your SD card, you should be able to find SD card storage when opening the file manager app (most likely "My file" on Samsung). You should enter Device storage first, find the files (not apps) you want to move, long-press it, tap the three-dot menu icon, choose "Move" or "Copy", tap SD card, find a location and tap "PASTE HERE".
2. Move apps to SD card on your phone. Open Settings> Application manager, tap a third-party app(most system apps are unremovable) you want to move. Now find the "Move to SD card" option. On Android 6.0 Marshmallow, it is on App info page> Storage> CHANGE> Change storage location.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Turns out the key is to keep trying each 3rd-party app till you actually find one that can be moved. For example, Amazon's Appstore app will *not* move but Amazon Kindle will.

The option for changing the storage location doesn't appear unless the app is moveable. That was throwing me off. Kind of a PITA.

Thanks again

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, not very convenient if you do it manually. Some App2SD apps would list all movable apps on your phone, but I forget which ones. Root access would make it more powerful, but many people don't like rooting.

PS: In case you're interested, you can Google "How to format SD card as internal memory on Android Marshmallow". It is much more complicated, but once you set it up, you don't need to "move" apps anymore.

Last edited: