Why is my mac address so weak? Receiving at minus 80 decibels.

A

AC Question

I'm staying at a motel with wifi managed by an outside company. One tablet will work and the other won't. After calling and complaining they showed I was the only one on an access point and told me my mac address was super weak.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Your MAC address can't be weak (or strong), it just is. (That's like saying that your street address is green. Your house may be, but your address isn't.)

Are you trying to log into the system using the same login (probably the room number) with both devices at the same time? That usually won't work.

If the wifi antenna in the one that doesn't work isn't connected properly inside the tablet, it also won't work. (Your signal will be weak.)

Otherwise, bring the tablet to your carrier, or wherever you bought it, and see if they can fix it.

(BTW, -80db isn't weak, that's easily usable.)

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm staying at a motel with wifi managed by an outside company. One tablet will work and the other won't. After calling and complaining they showed I was the only one on an access point and told me my mac address was super weak.

Whomever you were talking to you was clearly lying to you. Before you invest too much time and money in that one tablet that had trouble connecting, take into consideration if it only had a problem with this particular WiFi network but works OK elsewhere, or have you been having problems with it in other places.
Getting back to that deceptive reasoning, any device's MAC address is a unique, fixed string of characters that identifies some kind of networking component. It has nothing to do with signal strength nor does it regulate bandwidth speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
The fact that someone would pull some vaguely related tech term out of thin air to use as an excuse like that indicates more that the problem was more than likely on their end.
If that's a motel you stay at periodically call the motel management and notify them the tech support company they're contracted with is dishonest, dismissive to the motel's clients, and not very helpful. Contractors like that give a bad name to those who are trying to do a good job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech