Help Ending High Data Consumption of Exchange Services (Email)

A

AC Question

Hello All,

I have an issue that is driving me bananas. Hopefully, the community can help.

I have noticed lately that my phone (Moto X) is eating through a LOT of data a lot faster than I am traditionally used to. I've traced it down to exchange services (email). It seems to be related to background data. As a short-term solution, I've turned off cellular data at all times because it just seems to eat through data, even if I am at home or at work with Wifi (on a separate note, I want my phone to always stay connected to a wifi network and I find when I don't use it for a while it will not do that, hence the need to turn off cellular data as a precaution).

An example of my problem: my data plan is for 2.5 GB per month. I share it with my wife, who uses about 400 MB. Last night, I forgot to turn off cellular data but should have remained connected to our home's wifi. I woke up this morning to see I received two notifications about reaching data warnings and upon examination, see that I went through just under 600 MB of data, while asleep!

I have 5 days to go and 100 MB left on our shared plan. ><

I've also disabled background services in the app. When I tap on app settings, it opens up a "edit with" window but there's nothing I can do, as no apps can perform this action.

I have 5 email addresses I use and get a fair chunk of email but it is still the background services part of it that is killing my data.

So my question is two parts:
1) how do I force my phone to always stay connected to a wi-fi network?
2) what can I do to make exchange services stop eating so much data?

Any help or advice would be most welcome!

Mr .Gisa

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central! I'm not too familiar with the Moto interface, but somewhere in settings there should be a section for Accounts and Sync. Within that section you should see your various email accounts. Find the one that says Microsoft Exchange and got to Email Settings. Scroll down to the Sync section and it should list all your accounts. There's a submenu under each account that allows you to change sync settings. Turn off Auto Sync and set the Sync schedule to something more manageable, or even to manual.

As far as keeping WiFi on, it's usually the network that determines the connection time out. If your phone is set to remember a WiFi network, it should stay connected to that network and reconnect every time you are within range. However many corporate guest networks like the one in my office will disconnect after so many minutes of inactivity, and require me to go back to the splash page and log back in. Unfortunately there's nothing that I know of that will remedy that.

I hope this helps!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie