Two nights ago, I shut down my Samsung Galaxy S6. When I turned it on yesterday morning, it asked for my PIN. I put in my PIN as I normally do, but it wouldn't take. I inputted a few more times, knowing a 1000% what my PIN to open my phone is.
    Since I lost all of my data last year and had to do a factory reset, there's no way I want to have that happen again. I went to Verizon store (no help), Best Buy (referred me to a different Best Buy w/ Samsung rep), Best Buy w/ Samsung rep (out of course for a few days). I tried calling Samsung tech support but they were worse than useless.
    I went to Samsung Find My Phone but because I was on a hotel wifi when the incident occured, Samsung says I can't connect to a Samsung network to open my phone (they can't use cell data).
    After hours of research, it appears this has nothing to do with being locked out of my phone / forgetting my PIN to open my phone. Rather, I get a message that asks fo a PIN to 'decrypt data storage'. Thing is, I never encrypted my data storage on my phone. It appears to a be a bug of some sort and I simply want/need a PIN from someone to enter into my phone.
    I've also been told that when I run out of PIN input trys, I may be able to enter my Google password, but my gut tells me once I run out of PIN input trys, I'm SOL and can only do Factory Reset, which again, will lose all my pics.
    04-12-2017 11:19 AM
    Google obligates all the OEM's to encrypt the Android installation.
    04-12-2017 11:42 AM
    So if Google obligates OEMs to encrypt Android installations, I'm still unclear on how I as a consumer would have access to a PIN? I never set one. Who should (not will) help...Google or Samsung?
    04-12-2017 11:57 AM
    Samsung can go rot in hell. Shame on me for sticking with such a horrible company. Time to go back to Apple. This is the second time they've wiped out all my pics. Even though I never encrypted my data, I'm forced to submit my PIN to decrypt that encrypted data. I hope their S8s blow up like their 7's.

I am sorry to inform you that the only option available now to unlock the phone is to reset the phone to factory defaults which will delete all the data stored on the phone.
    04-12-2017 12:08 PM