I recently upgraded from a Motorola Moto G1 to a Moto G4. The new phone is running on Android 7. The system appears to be taking up a huge amount of space - is this normal?
    I transferred most of the apps and data from the old phone but not all; I left a few data heavy apps off, but the new phone once set up has less space available than the old one, and it's always on the verge of running below 1GB available space. (The old one was running on Android 5.1.)
    It's a 16GB internal memory phone. File Manager (and other space analysers) says there is 10.94GB of space, of which 1.79GB is currently free (after i moved a lot of photos of to create some space).
    When I total up all the space used by folders individually it only comes to about 2.8GB.
    The pie chart of space-use describes 8.57GB (of the 10.94GB) as used by 'Other'. I suppose that some of this might be app data which the File Manager can't see/categorise. So it seems that 5GB of space (16-10.94GB) is straight away reserved for system purposes, and a great deal of the 8.57GB is presumably also system space, which means maybe around 13GB of the 16GB is being used by the system - can that be right? I thought if Android 7 is so greedy there would be more about it online.
    Even if a lot of the 8.57GB 'Other' is app data then the Android setup is very poor for the user to be able to work out what is actually taking up the space.
    Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on?
    04-12-2017 03:01 PM
    Welcome to the forums. There is a larger space for the OS as to how it updates.
    04-12-2017 03:40 PM