First-time rooter; long-time reader...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Is there any sort of rule of thumb for which apps to grant superuser permission and which to deny?

Each time I get one of those damn pop-ups, I freeze and just hit "Deny" because I don't really know why I should or shouldn't grant an app root permissions. Feels cowardly, but there it is.

And do apps with root permissions become battery hogs eventually?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Only apps you explicitly want to have root access should be granted root access.
'kay. But why do I explicitly want some of them to have root access? I mean, if Android Pay asks for root access, I'll smell a rat. But what about LTE Discovery? or Project Fi? or Substratum?

How do I know when to say, "No root for you!" vs. "Why, yes, right this way"?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Many apps want root privileges but almost none should actually have them.
Thanks. It helps to know that I should dole those permissions out sparingly instead of assuming that every toast implies an urgent need for access.
I don't recall Android Pay asking for root access.
No, hence the thing about smelling a rat. Since root breaks SaftyNet, the AP app would never request root access.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You've got some suspicious activity going on. Apps like Android Pay and any banking app won't run on a rooted device. (You can bypass this but it requires additional, and specific actions, on your part.) Most apps won't even run as root anyway. The developer(s) must intentionally enable this in their own app. That's why if you start up the SuperSU app for example, you cannot just add any app you want to be run as root, it only lists the apps that are specifically coded to be run as root.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've rooted my Android devices for years.

I set my root management app to default grant and hide the toast notification. Only because i know the apps i have installed are trustworthy and it is annoying granting apps root.

You'll not see "random apps"requesting root access. Only a handful of apps are designed to use root, and you'll be installing them with that knowledge.

If you are in the habit of testing out root apps (especially downloaded from outside the Play store), you'll want to set your management app to prompt for security purposes.

OT: What root apps are you looking to use? I saw you mention Substratum, which is awesome.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
OT: What root apps are you looking to use? I saw you mention Substratum, which is awesome.
I'd like to use Substratum again, but the ROM I'm using is on a 7.1.2 build for the Nexus 6, and I don't want to mess with the Swift Black theme I was using until it's updated for 7.1.2. I can't be certain, but the overlays may have been causing crashes when I was using it even before the 7.1.2 update. After all the wiping and reflashing I had to do to get rid of the crashes and battery draining, I didn't feel like putting Substratum back; but I do miss my black Settings card and black notifications.

I haven't gone searching for specific root apps yet. I do know that when I first flashed Magisck I was getting toasts about root access from a number of apps when I opened them; LTE Discovery, Fi Switch and Total Commander are the three I granted superuser status. I just felt stupid doing it because I didn't really have a reason for granting access other than the fact that I use them a lot.

You've got some suspicious activity going on. Apps like Android Pay
No, no. There's nothing funny going on. The line about AP was just a wisecrack because I couldn't remember the names of the apps that asked for root access but didn't get it (and they didn't get it only because I got tired of all the pop-up toasts about access).

All of my apps are from the play store; there's not a sketchy one in the bunch. Just some that I ought to delete because I don't use them.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
You've got some suspicious activity going on. Apps like Android Pay and any banking app won't run on a rooted device. (You can bypass this but it requires additional, and specific actions, on your part.) Most apps won't even run as root anyway. The developer(s) must intentionally enable this in their own app. That's why if you start up the SuperSU app for example, you cannot just add any app you want to be run as root, it only lists the apps that are specifically coded to be run as root.
"any" banking app is a bold statement. My us bank, capital one, citi bank and discover all run just fine on my rooted nexus 6p (not rooted with magisk).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL