I put off this update until March 2017. After update SD card (SanDisk Ultra, 64GB Micro XC-1) no longer recognized. Finally contacted Moto support today, 4-16-17 to resolve. After 3 hours with level 1 & 2 support, multiple attempts to fix including deleting cache. Solution was to do factory restore. Made sure all data was saved to Google account (except text messages, oops and ouch). After reset, card still not recognized. Installed new SD card (SanDisk Ultra, 32GB Micro UHS-1) and formatted (to share with other devices) and all is well.

However, I want my photos off old SD card. Tech rep said would not be able to recover because card is tied to phone and cannot be read by another device. 8 mths photos and video not backed up. Also want to recover text messages. Though I have learned some hard lessons, your help appreciated.
    04-16-2017 10:33 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Was the card formatted as Internal Storage or Portable Storage?
    04-16-2017 11:23 PM
    Internal Storage
    04-17-2017 12:01 PM
    The problem is that when you format an SD card as Internal Storage, it gets encrypted to be read only by that phone. Since you did a factory reset of the phone, the encryption key has been lost, and therefore the data on that card is irretrievable. Sorry!

I'm not sure why the phone stopped recognizing it after the update, since I would guess that the phone should still retain the same encryption key for the SD card, even after a system update. But Lenovo seems to have messed up the implementation of Adoptable Storage to a certain extent, as evidenced by the issues that are brought up in these forums, so that might be part of it.
    04-17-2017 01:42 PM