Why was my mobile data was used while doing a factory reset?

A

AC Question

I have a Moto G2 not rooted. It came with lollipop version, but later marshmallow update was done OTA. As it became too slow over the period of time, i decided to do a factory reset through settings option. Phone started performing factory reset and when it was back again, it started with asking me some usual question like setting up my preferred language. Then it detected my home wi-fi and got connected to it. All went well and my phone was back running faster with all my apps reloaded through backups.
However, to my surprise, i saw that i am now not able to make calls as all my balance is finished. Checking the records shows that my mobile data was used during the factory reset and all my balance had gone for data usage. I was charged £17 in 5 minutes by Lyca. (I don't have any mobile data pack as i use Wi-fi only for internet).
Now i am wondering why my mobile data was used and for what activity? All my data back up like apps installation and update was done on Wi-fi? How could have i avoided it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
🙋I've had disappearing credit myself, though not with that provider, and received no explanation for it in spite of several enquiries. Nevertheless all you can do is to ask the provider for an explanation.