So I updated my Note 5 last night and it automatically restarted. Once on, the phone states" Your phone was restarted and needs to be unlocked using your pattern. You can use your fingerprints next time you unlock your phone." Usually, it allows you to enter a back-up pin. There is nothing that allows you to enter a pin and of course I don't remember my pattern.
    I called Verizon, they directed me to Samsung who directed me to Google who sent me back to Samsung who told me to "try" Best-buy mobile.

I have been able to do the backup pin every time I had a system update, but not this time for some reason... I do not have my Samsung find my phone activated. Also I did try Google find my phone, but there is only a lock function, no unlock at all.
    Any help appreciated!
    04-19-2017 11:24 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! So did you try bringing it to your local Best Buy and asking the Samsung rep if they can help? It's better than calling Samsung or Google, since you can talk to an actual human being in person.
    04-19-2017 12:41 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! So did you try bringing it to your local Best Buy and asking the Samsung rep if they can help? It's better than calling Samsung or Google, since you can talk to an actual human being in person.
    I did not. I'm on hold to see if I can talk to someone there at Best Buy now.
    I see others had this issue from updates years ago, but nothing with this most recent update.
    There is no option to enter a back-up pin, just a pattern. Yikes.
    04-19-2017 01:19 PM
    After speaking with several "experts", there is NO CORRECTIVE ACTION. Verizon and Geek Squad said they heard of this and for some reason the update did not include a back-up pin for "security" reasons. I call BS.

After trying to remember my swipe pattern, I had one more attempt. Of course I got it wrong and my phone automatically erased itself and was prompted to sign in with Google again. I lost everything. Only thing that Google backed up was my contacts and like 120 pictures.
    Please everyone, back up your phones w/ Verizon Cloud or Google Drive, or activate Samsung Find my Phone. The Google Find my Phone does not unlock your phone; just finds it.

Learned the hard way! Sucks! I always was able to use my back-up pin, then my finger print after a restart. Never again will I use the pattern to unlock. Just my luck.
    04-20-2017 07:26 AM
    I don't quite understand this, perhaps because I'm not a Samsung user. Are you saying that your normal method of accessing the phone was pattern-unlock, or was the pattern a backup method along with backup PIN? Did you normally use fingerprint to access the phone?
    04-20-2017 07:49 AM
    Please everyone, back up your phones w/ Verizon Cloud or Google Drive, or activate Samsung Find my Phone. The Google Find my Phone does not unlock your phone; just finds it.
    This is the most important part of this thread!
    04-20-2017 10:15 AM
    I don't quite understand this, perhaps because I'm not a Samsung user. Are you saying that your normal method of accessing the phone was pattern-unlock, or was the pattern a backup method along with backup PIN? Did you normally use fingerprint to access the phone?
    My normal method was being able to use a pattern or back-up pin after a phone restart. With this newest Samsung update (April 2017), the only method of unlocking after a restart is pattern; NOT pattern or back-up pin. So I had to lose all of my information ... bummer.
    belodion likes this.
    04-24-2017 02:38 PM
    DAMN you Samsung & Verizon!! I have the same problem with my Galaxy S6. The pattern wasn't working so after reboots I was using the backup PIN then my fingerprint after that.

Samsung's Find my Mobile was setup but it's not giving me all the options. It only shows lock or wipe Samsung Pay. Google's find my device is equally useless.

I need to get into my phone and would rather not WIPE the whole damn thing.

Any recommendations? I'm a technical person with some forensic skills. I guess it's time to search for a way to crack this thing. Ughhhh

Who was the (inappropriate language removed by moderator)who decided to remove the Backup PIN option. I'd like to kick his/her ***.
    04-27-2017 10:28 AM