Unknown sources keeps turning on

A

AC Question

Hello. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. For a little over a week Avast has been giving her a warning notification that the button to download Unknown sources is turned on. She turns it off, but within 30 minutes or so, it switches back to on. She doesn't have many apps at all on her phone. She downloaded eVite about a month ago and Hobnob about a week ago. She never actually created an account on Hobnob I don't think it's either of those, but since Hobnob was the last one loaded, I uninstalled it from her phone and downloaded the app to my S7. She continues to have the problem and it didn't happen on my phone. Not sure what to do. Need help.

Duecekd

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I have this exact same problem on my galaxy s7 active and it's driving me nuts.
Tim1954, could you please elaborate on the procedure for your possible fix. I have scanned the Internet and found that a lot of people have this experience, but so far, no solution.
Thanks - KD

BDH27

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
This is really getting annoying. Is it limited to Samsung or happening on a variety of Android devices? Happening to anyone not using Avast? Just trying to find some common denominator.....

Duecekd

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I don't know, but I will disable Avast and see if it stops. I won't get the notifications, but I will check my phone periodically to see if it turns back on and report back. If it follows the pattern it won't take long. Also it only seems to to turn on when the phone is locked and idle.

ItHertz WinIP

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
My issue is the exact opposite. I want Unknown Sources to stay on but it keeps turning itself off. I checked in Developer Options to see if anything was causing it but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I DON'T have Avast installed. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on the T Mobile network with Nougat 7.0 installed. I'm installing Avast now to see if it works for me and somehow keeps it on.

Duecekd

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Uninstalled Avast and it took a while but unknown sources button was on again. It only seems to happen when the phone is locked and idle. If anyone is still watching this thread and can help, I would appreciate it. Don't know where to go from here. I just saw your post Ithertz WinIP. I am running v7 nougat also. Apparently something is toggling the state of the button. The last app I have installed was Pandora from the Play store. I am going to uninstall it and monitor. Will report t back.

Last edited:

MeganScott

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Was googling solutions for the same issue with my Samsung S7 edge, and found this thread:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...-keeps-turning-on-with-Samsung-App/td-p/89823

I've just tried it on my phone, will update here if it works, thought you might want to try it too.

Update: 1.5 half day later, it hasn't turned back on. I think, Samsung Pay was the culprit - resetting the app was the solution.

To say the issue was annoying was an understatement - it was blocking my work emails - Microsoft Intune kept detecting unknown sources was turned on every 30 seconds (after I'd manually disable it) and would not let me download/view my emails. This seems to have fixed it. I'll report back if anything changes.

Last edited:

Duecekd

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Well, uninstalled Pandora to no avail. Don't have any more ideas. I wanted to add that I realized that I didn't have this problem until after my phone was upgraded to v7 nougat. Maybe it's a bug in s7 & nougat. I know I'm tired of turning it off!

Duecekd

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
So far so good for me also. Thank you MeganScott for sticking with it and sharing this with us! I had searched for hours trying to find a solution. Hats off to ya! It's great when the Internet works and people help people!

Mark DURAN1

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi I have a galaxy s6 edge plus and today I downloaded Avast security and it kept telling me that unknown sources are on and I should turn it off so I did.. Well next time I got on my phone it said it back on. Well the post early said to reset apps I did then it said it could not scan the drive so so turning on the scan drive turns on the unknown source so it can scan it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae