As soon as I bought it, a month ago, it never let me connect to my home's wifi. It only connects to my other router, which is using my home's main modem for signal, and it is used to expand that signal around the house. But it can not connect to the main modem. It can also connect to any other wifi connection anywhere I go.

I used "Forget Network", I rebooted my phone, wiped the cache data, changed DHCP to static, restarted my modem, changed some of my modem's settings, changed the IP address and DNS1 and DNS2 numbers etc etc. Nothing works. I can only connect it to my home's wifi if I change the connection to "Static" but it will not allow me to browse the internet or any other app that requires me to have an internet connection. And I read that if it connects then I have to change to back to "DHCP" but when I do the same problem occurs: 'Unable to obtain IP address'. Guys I really tried everything I could. I am clueless. You will be a lifesaver if you can solve this problem for me.

I will either throw the phone out the window or keep it if someone can help me do something about this issue. Thank you.
    04-26-2017 11:48 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the 2nd router as a wireless extender, or as a 2nd access point? I've found that wireless extenders can sometimes cause connection issues.
    Laura Knotek and mayhemO like this.
    04-26-2017 12:33 PM
    As soon as I bought it, a month ago, it never let me connect to my home's wifi. It only connects to my other router, which is using my home's main modem for signal, and it is used to expand that signal around the house. But it can not connect to the main modem. It can also connect to any other wifi connection anywhere I go.
    Reading through your posting there are a lot of indicators your problem is centered on mis-configured routers. There are multiple issues tied to your home network setup and not necessarily anything to do with your J3, it's trying to connect to a usable network but there isn't one. You need to make one router your main router, with your second router having ALL routing functionality turned off so it's acting only as an access point being fed by your main router. Currently you've got two routers acting against each other, with your phone left out as it's not getting a working WiFi connection.

I'd 'forget' your current SSID set on your J3, then reset both routers back to their defaults, and reconfigure them both into a stable, usable home network. Now setup one of your routers (presumably the newer, more capable one than the other) as your main router -- change to a unique SSID, set up a good password, disable WPS (it's a security vulnerability), turn off UPNP, and lock it down accordingly. This 'RouterCheck' app does a really nice job to check your router's security set up:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    Leave DHCP and custom DNS settings as is, you can tweak them later once you've got your home LAN established and working.

Once that's done, now take your secondary router and dig into it's set up menu. Turn off all routing functionality -- no DHCP, no DNS, nothing. Set up the same SSID and password, the one notable difference being make sure your secondary router is using a different channel than your primary router. Now connect your two routers, if you can use an Ethernet patch cable that would be more optimal than using a wireless connection (bridging). Just be sure to plug both ends of the cable into the regular LAN ports of both routers, do NOT use the WAN port on your secondary router. At this point your secondary router is just acting as an access point network switch, with your primary router acting as the sole gateway on your home LAN. With both routers working with each other as opposed to previously against each other, you should be able to move throughout your home with your J3 switching from one router's coverage to the other with only a negligible pause if any.

This article is more detailed:
    How to Connect Two Routers (with Pictures) - wikiHow
    04-26-2017 12:58 PM
    Hello thanks for the reply! I am using the 2nd router to extend the signal all across the house. And I can connect to that and use the internet when connected.
    04-26-2017 01:46 PM
    Hey, wow thanks for the detailed reply! I am here to make sure I understood everything before I try this out. my second router is not a router, I don't know how to call it. It says 'Internet and Wifi booster' and 'Powerline adapter', Devolo DLan is the brand's name if you heard of it. I'm sorry I'm not that good in technical stuff (as you can already see). Should I still follow your advice?
    04-26-2017 02:14 PM
    If it's a Powerline adapter, then is the primary modem/router also plugged into a wall outlet via a Powerline adapter? This is how my home is set up as well, with a primary modem/router in my study (at one end of the house), with an Ethernet line connected to a Powerline adapter in a power outlet. Then I have a 2nd router in my living room (which is more central) plugged into a wall outlet using another Powerline adapter. This 2nd router is configured as an Access Point.
    smvim and mayhemO like this.
    04-26-2017 04:14 PM
    Should I still follow your advice?
    No, the info is more specific to setting up two routers on a single network. But it does sound like with all those random settings alterations you made previously, you'd be better off just starting over -- reset your wireless router and reconfigure it from scratch. Use that RouterCheck app to check the security settings and once it's working normally and you've got a usable home network again, then add in your Devolo powerline kit. And be sure to follow its setup directions carefully too, again you want both your router and your Devolo to work with each other, not conflict against each other.

You might want to install this 'Wifi Analyzer' app on your J3:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en
    Do a walk-through of your home and see what kind of coverage you're getting. If you're encountering dead spots it might help to re-position your wireless router and/or the powerline adapter unit.
    mayhemO and B. Diddy like this.
    04-26-2017 06:14 PM
    I have already reset my router's factory settings and I know the coverage. The router is in my bedroom by the way. Also, I bought this Samsung J3 because my iphone 5 broke and I needed a new phone. And I had that phone for more than 4years and I never had this problem. The moment I bought this phone and came back home and tried to connect it to the Wifi, it just never connected. This is really strange. Why doesn't it connect? A day ago my iphone (before it was broken) was connected to it, so why didn't my new Samsung connect the next day ?
    04-27-2017 09:50 AM
    OK so this paints a different picture. Have you tried using your J3 to connect at different WiFi networks? (at a friend's, or work, or some public WiFi network like a library or a restaurant)
    If your J3 connects elsewhere than there is something going on with your home WiFi, and you need to dig into your router's settings and determine which setting is the problem. Something is probably conflicting with your J3 that wasn't a problem with your iPhone -- could be as simple as disabling IPv6 or changing your SSID or password (possibly a character that's working with iOS but not Android), or it could be a more involved issue if you've previously altered features like QoS or IP address range limits.
    If your J3 isn't able to connect to any WiFi network, it's probably an issue with your J3 itself. Since it's pretty new you should still be covered by a warranty, you should request to have it checked out or replaced.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-27-2017 01:03 PM
    Here are a few more tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-problems.html. Try checking how congested your current wi-fi channel is, and see if changing the channel on the router helps.
    04-27-2017 07:10 PM