Trying to connect to wifi and I get the message "cannot search for all wifi networks. Check SIM card or mobile network". I am. Currently overseas so I have airplane mode and I'm using the wifi in the hotel. It was working fine and then it stopped. Help!
    04-30-2017 08:58 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does this persist after a reboot?
    04-30-2017 11:59 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does this persist after a reboot?
    Yes I've even done a factory reset
    05-01-2017 12:50 AM
    Is the message appearing in the notification bar, or is it a popup "toast" notification in the middle of the screen?
    05-01-2017 02:28 PM
    Is the message appearing in the notification bar, or is it a popup "toast" notification in the middle of the screen?
    It's a pop up at the bottom but recently it stopped appearing. Whenever I try to connect to a wifi it says connected but the internet doesn't work. I have other devices that work fine with the wifi here.
    05-01-2017 02:37 PM
    Do you know if the hotel wi-fi requires you to log in or accept terms on an initial welcome screen? What happens if you open your browser and type in any typical URL, like www.nytimes.com?

Do the other devices give you a popup window with the login screen when you first connect to the wi-fi?
    05-01-2017 02:47 PM
    Yeah the wifi requires me to go into the browser and type in a password. I did it when I arrived and it worked initially. I've tried getting it to forget the network but once I try connecting again it simply says connected. The browser doesn't load anything including the sign in page.
    05-01-2017 03:11 PM
    Sometimes it works if you know the URL for the actual wi-fi login page. Check your browser history to see if you can find something like that, and reload that page (or type in the URL -- often, the browser will remember and auto-complete the URL for you). I had to do this recently in a hotel in London.
    05-03-2017 05:27 PM
    Sometimes it works if you know the URL for the actual wi-fi login page. Check your browser history to see if you can find something like that, and reload that page (or type in the URL -- often, the browser will remember and auto-complete the URL for you). I had to do this recently in a hotel in London.
    Hi! I just tried this and it didn't work I'm getting the popup message saying it can't search for all wifi networks again. Could something be physically wrong? I am able to send pictures through Bluetooth if that's helpful.
    05-03-2017 07:40 PM
    That's an odd error message. What happens if you turn off Airplane Mode, but disable roaming (in Settings>Cellular Networks​)?
    05-03-2017 09:17 PM
    That's an odd error message. What happens if you turn off Airplane Mode, but disable roaming (in Settings>Cellular Networks​)?
    When I disable airplane mode the error message stops appearing but it still won't connect to wifi.
    05-04-2017 12:50 AM
    And when you turned off Airplane Mode, you tried that trick of typing in the URL for the login page?
    05-04-2017 02:26 AM
    And when you turned off Airplane Mode, you tried that trick of typing in the URL for the login page?
    Yes, it didn't work.
    05-04-2017 08:16 AM
    Sorry, I'm not sure why this is happening. I would have thought Airplane Mode would prevent any issues with the phone trying to check for a mobile network, and this shouldn't have any effect on wi-fi. Let me see if any of the other Ambassadors have any ideas.

Here's a shot in the dark -- does the phone have wi-fi calling as a feature? If so, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.
    05-04-2017 11:08 AM
    What happens when you open a browser now and try to get somewhere on the internet? Sometimes things get stuck with portal logins and you don't get the automatic notification. If you have the wifi with an X... you are connected to Wifi, but the outside connection is blocked (which is usually caused by whatever you are connected to, not the phone).

Sounds like the WiFi you are connecting to is blocking you off... maybe trying to go to an outside link triggers the portal login again.
    05-04-2017 11:16 AM
    Yeah, maybe it's a problem with the Captive Portal Login. Try this. Switch aeroplane mode on, search for this app in settings - apps - all and clear data, restart the phone, switch WiFi on while keeping aeroplane mode on, open any random page on chrome and see if you get the login screen.
    05-04-2017 11:28 AM