S8+ What is the best camera setting. The 16:9 or the 4:3?

A

AC Question

I NOTICE THERE ARE NUMEROUS OPTIONS AND THE SETTINGS THAT USES THE MOST PIXELS IS 4:3, BUT IT SEEMS TH 16:9 SETTING USES MOST OF THE SCREEN. I would LIKE TO USE THE CAMERA TO IT'S MAX CAPABILITIES BUT IT SEEMS ODD THE 4:3 SETTING.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
4:3 looks rubbish and feels silly especially on the s8 plus screen but it saves the most detail and is the wiser choice as you can just crop the photo to 16:9 afterwards and keep the highest detail.

16:9 looks better when shooting and afterwards but if you crop afterwards you'll be losing more detail. It's basically like a 4:3 photo that's already been zoomed in on.

I tend to shoot mostly in 16:9 but the standard choice for most photographers is 4:3

James Bond20

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy Note 4 recently died and started looking at the camera specs on the S8 and others. I cannot believe that Samsung changed the native resolution to 4:3 ratio from the better 16:9 format. Phone screens, computer monitors and TV's all have 16:9 format!! If the camera is 16mp at 16:9, like the Oct 2014 Note 4, then the stepped down version of 4:3 will be 12mp. So why didn't they just stay with that. It would satisfy people wanting either format. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. If a survey were taken, I would imagine the vast majority would prefer 16:9 and easily cropped to standard photo size for the few photos that get printed. Keeping in mind that 5x7, 8x10 & 11x14 are not all the same ratio. So I'm looking for a different brand like the LG G5 to get the 16:9.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The lens on the camera creates a circle of light on the sensor. You can change the shape of the captured image from square (1:1) to slightly rectangle (4:3) to very rectangle (16:9), but that shape needs to stay inside the circle. The more you move away from the square the fewer pixels you have in the image. 16:9 looks great on the screen, but it contains noticeably fewer pixels than the 4:3. It is a trade-off; different people have different wants for the end result.

James Bond20

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Old TVs and VHS movies were 4:3 format.....so aren't we going backwards?? Who wants the wide black bars on the sides of the image when viewing a 4:3 format image on your phone?? I totally don't get it. And I don't agree with ManiacJoe that 16:9 creates less pixels since until recently, the cameras at 16mp were in 16:9 format and then the cropped 4:3 option is lower of course. It's all about the design of the camera's sensor and what format the native resolution is set at.
I totally fail to see any advantage to changing what was typically 16:9 format in cameras to 4:3, especially now that cameras are changing to longer 18:9 format.
On another side note, why can't the industry just change all those stupid ratios relative to 1, so it's easier to compare.....ie 16:9 = 1.78:1 and 4:3 = 1.33:1, a standard DSLR camera is 1.5:1 ...etc. Anyone who prints a photo has to change it to that basis to know how to crop it to get it to the desired 5x7, 8x10, etc. anyways. Standards need to evolve.
And why is it that the majority of phone manufacturers all seem to make the same changes with each new model of phone?? Coincidence?.....I dont' think so!

Last edited:

Akcbrandy2

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I just wanted to say thanks for helping me to understand those numbers with my 3rd Note 8, as why upgrade? Are the Note 9s and 10s, and by the way, is there an S10 tablet, that I wouldn't want to buy it through AT&T but maybe a significantly better price of course needing to be able to connect with AT&T, but those camera settings, I'll set front camera at 4:3 after looking at some of your answers, but what are 18.5:9 (5.2mp), and 1:1(6.0mp) about? Until now, probably 2 years, I never understood and really still don't, amd this alone takes me half an hour, as these phones sometimes or most of all times interferes with my, my golden retriever's, and really my closest of family's lives most definitely, as I always see people on their phones even crossing the street not paying attention to the oncoming vehicles, instead focused on their phones, isn't that being overly obsessed? And should be illegal by law, same with driving and using a mobile device, although I do it, but it can be hazardous, either way!! Thanks!!!!
and thanks, from Gary and Brandy 2

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Old TVs and VHS movies were 4:3 format.....so aren't we going backwards?? Who wants the wide black bars on the sides of the image when viewing a 4:3 format image on your phone?? I totally don't get it. And I don't agree with ManiacJoe that 16:9 creates less pixels since until recently, the cameras at 16mp were in 16:9 format and then the cropped 4:3 option is lower of course. It's all about the design of the camera's sensor and what format the native resolution is set at.
I totally fail to see any advantage to changing what was typically 16:9 format in cameras to 4:3, especially now that cameras are changing to longer 18:9 format.
On another side note, why can't the industry just change all those stupid ratios relative to 1, so it's easier to compare.....ie 16:9 = 1.78:1 and 4:3 = 1.33:1, a standard DSLR camera is 1.5:1 ...etc. Anyone who prints a photo has to change it to that basis to know how to crop it to get it to the desired 5x7, 8x10, etc. anyways. Standards need to evolve.
And why is it that the majority of phone manufacturers all seem to make the same changes with each new model of phone?? Coincidence?.....I dont' think so!

Maniac Joe is correct. 16:9 is less pixels than 4:3. Want to verify it? Just take photos in both formats and compare picture information.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang