For half of the apps I have/dl, I try to change their settings and my phone won't let me? First I try to change permissions the app can have access to (like to storage, contacts, whatnot); I can slide the bar to turn one on, then it springs back to off and opens "screen overly detected" window and I go to that page. Screen overlay supposedly is for allowing popups, drawing over the screen, etc. The app(s) in that page have a greyed out font, which makes their screen overlay permanently in the off position. Is there a way to surpass this issue? Why is the screen overlay ability also affecting the other permissions?
    05-04-2017 02:20 PM
    Perhaps you have some higher permission off somewhere? Access to the phone... Device administrator...
    It pays to look in system apps for permissions too, you can get mucked up if you stop some vital function...
    There are many controls in many places in these new devices that can trap the unwary.
    Mr Mendelli likes this.
    05-04-2017 10:22 PM
    I did some hunting and it doesn't look like I screwed with any essentials... and the only thing that is tagged to have an administrator permission is Android Device Manager, which is supposed to be just for in the case of losing my phone - probably helps Google Maps, too. Of course if I try to disable that to see if it would have any affects on my issue, it wouldn't let me click the confirm button (or cancel button for that matter).

I don't install apps often, and I had those ones for a while without this issue (while being particular about which permissions they're granted). Even after uninstalling a couple new apps, the problem persists.

I also have 360 Security on there (before I had Clean Master), and neither found issues.

With the timing and whatnot (especially how just after a system update I first noticed it after installing a single new, very trustworthy app {to try adjusting it's permissions} after a while of going without new ones), I suspect a system update error.
    05-06-2017 02:56 PM