Hi , I have a Sony Xperia C4 and decided to do a factory reset to clear some space. The phone is on Android 6.0 . The reset seemed to go fine but when i try and access anything on the micro SD card (64GB sandisk) nothing opens. It shows the name of the files like .JPG and also shows the .MP3 files but I cant open them with any apps.I've also tried opening them on PC but files wont open, It seems like the phone has encrypted the files somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Matt.
    05-07-2017 07:14 AM
    Welcome to the forums. When you inserted the card the first time, did you set the card as adoptable storage? If you did, the phone did encrypt it.
    05-07-2017 09:03 AM
    It does sound like you originally had your microSD card set up as adoptable instead of removable. Once a card is adoptable, your phone's Android operating system sees it as an integral component, roughly an extension to the internal storage memory. The card's file system also gets altered to be in parity with your internal storage, and it gets encrypted. When you did the Factory Reset the encryption key was deleted so now that microSD card is essentially 'locked'. Whatever data you had on it previously is no longer accessible, as you mentioned you can see the files in a file manager but you can't do anything with them. At this point you need to just accept that those files are gone (unless you have them backed up elsewhere, highly recommended as microSD cards are NOT reliable enough for any kind of long term archiving) and just reformat the card so you can continue using it.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-07-2017 09:57 AM
    It does sound like you originally had your microSD card set up as adoptable instead of removable. Once a card is adoptable, your phone's Android operating system sees it as an integral component, roughly an extension to the internal storage memory. The card's file system also gets altered to be in parity with your internal storage, and it gets encrypted. When you did the Factory Reset the encryption key was deleted so now that microSD card is essentially 'locked'. Whatever data you had on it previously is no longer accessible, as you mentioned you can see the files in a file manager but you can't do anything with them. At this point you need to just accept that those files are gone (unless you have them backed up elsewhere, highly recommended as microSD cards are NOT reliable enough for any kind of long term archiving) and just reformat the card so you can continue using it.

but still i cant use my SD card ... I cant transfer photos, music, videos and even apps ... can you please help me fix my phone ? ... My phone is Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime+
    01-28-2018 09:42 PM
    but still i cant use my SD card ... I cant transfer photos, music, videos and even apps ... can you please help me fix my phone ? ... My phone is Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime+
    01-28-2018 09:43 PM
    Using your favorite file browser app, what happens when you try to navigate the SD card?
    If you get an error message, what is its exact wording?
    01-29-2018 12:20 AM