Note 4 unfamiliar installation screen

vtm661

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have a SM-N910A Note 4 that I've let my mom use for a while now, so it's been very slow and clunky lately. I tried cleaning out files, deleting trivial apps, and finally installing the latest software update available. Upon initial download, these screens (attached pics) popped up. Is the "recovery booting" screen normal? I don't remember the Custom Lock thing being there before? I've never rooted or downloaded apps through outside apk files so this looks suspicious, I don't know? It wouldn't let me attach pics through app or pc site, so I hope Imgur links are sufficient...

https://imgur.com/gallery/5iih3
https://imgur.com/gallery/sAPSf

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It looks like the device was rooted at some point, and a custom recovery (and possibly a custom ROM) installed. Has anyone else used this phone besides your mother and you?

vtm661

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, still getting used to the forums. I originally used the phone, then my mother was the last and only person to have owned/used the phone. She's not a tech savvy person in the least, but I also know she also wouldn't lend the phone around carelessly. Which leaves me puzzled on how the device would've been rooted, not that I know much about the process of rooting anyways. Sorry for the long text, but I'm confused as what to do now. I tried to install the software, but now I'm not sure if it's gonna reset all the data since it says "Recovery booting" and I was in the predicament of trying to transfer all of her priceless photos?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This starts getting into territory that I'm not that familiar with, but how did you install the system update? Was it an over-the-air update pushed by Samsung or the carrier? Or did you manually install it using Smart Switch, Kies, or Odin?

vtm661

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I honestly just went to About Device, then to updates and manually checked if there was update available. It said there was an update available, (I wasn't expecting anything like this, so I didn't pay too much attention) it did a little predownload that took maybe 20 seconds, and then it did the normal device restart to do the actual software update and that's how I came across this screen. Even if I take the battery out and plug it in or try to boot to safe mode, it comes directly to the "recovery booting" screen with the Custom logo and whatnot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude