Been trawling the web for a while looking at different responses to this issue which everyone seems to be having.

The Samsung Galaxy J5 8GB internal memory fills up pretty quickly and the phone essentially becomes laggy. A Smart Manager message keeps popping up informing me that my memory is almost full.

The basic troubleshooting I've seen around the web involves uninstalling unused apps and media, clearing cache etc.

As it is a new phone, I don't have much stuff on my phone, only a handful of apps and music - about 900MB worth, details under Smart Manager > Storage > User data. However, Smart Manager also shows that I've used up 94% of the available memory, about 7.5GB of the 8GB!

Where is the other 6.6GB? Is the OS really taking up this much space? I've noticed as well that there are about a million pre installed apps that I don't use but cannot uninstall

My best bet is to purchase a memory card but it is quite useless that I cannot download/install directly to the memory card. Is there anyway to get rid of the pre installed apps? Or any other workarounds to significantly free up some space?
    05-09-2017 10:49 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! About 4-5 GB of that 8 GB is taken up by the OS and any preinstalled bloatware. An 8 GB phone typically has about 3-4 GB available to the user, depending on the phone.

The app cache can sometimes build up, so see how much space you can recover if you clear all app caches. Go to Settings>Storage, tap Cached Data, then clear it.

See this guide for more tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    05-10-2017 02:08 PM