New voicemail message can't be cleared

A

AC Question

I have a Sumsung A3 running Android 6.0.1

There is a voicemail alert in the alert pulldown, but there is no way to clear it. Pressing the clear link just clears all of the other alerts, but not this one.

I've also tried rebooting the phone, but it just won't go away. I've seen one post that says 'just call the voicemail and it will go away'. But my phone doesn't *have* voicemail!

The Alert is:

"New VoiceMail
Voicemail Number Unknown"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any wireless carrier will have voicemail -- it would seem odd that your plan didn't include voicemail. You probably just haven't set it up yet. Is that by choice?

jxm28

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any wireless carrier will have voicemail -- it would seem odd that your plan didn't include voicemail. You probably just haven't set it up yet. Is that by choice?
I don't know if it did or not, but I probably wouldn't use it anyway. So how do I tell it not to use voicemail?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if it did or not, but I probably wouldn't use it anyway. So how do I tell it not to use voicemail?
Welcome to the forums. Usually you can set up the voice mail in your call/dialer settings or you can contact your carrier for assistance. Until you figure it out you can use a temporary workaround to remove that message.

Expand the notifications shade swiping down from the status bar, long press the voice mail notification and tap on 'app info'. This will open the phone app screen on the app manager, clear data and the message should disappear. The catch, it will come back after you reboot your phone.

jxm28

May 12, 2017
Visit site
In the voicemail settings there only seems to be a way of entering the voicemail number, but no other settings (like "disable").

I tried what you suggested, but that just brought up the phone app screen, which didn't have a 'clear' option. Just "set as priority", "preview in pop-ups", hide on screen lock", and "hide content on lock screen" (all disabled)

I did just enable "hide on screen lock" which has improved the situation somewhat - now the notification only appears when I'm using the device, but not when locked. So halfway there...

jxm28

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Nope, none of those seem to match my phone.

I also got so fed up with it I found out the voicemail number and configured it.

So now I have the following pop-up:

"New Voicemail
Dial [xxx]"

So when I press the alert it actually dials my voicemail. which tells me I have no messages. and then when I hang up THE MESSAGE IS ***STILL*** there.

Still there after a reboot.

This is getting super annoying now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz