Picture sorting by date and possible duplicates

A

AC Question

When I moved my pictures from an old phone to a new phone, some of the pictures are now sorting with the date they were transferred to the new phone. This is especially true with videos. Old pictures seem to randomly appear as new pictures from time to time as well. Very odd. My suspicion is that either the file date is being used for sorting and the file date is getting reset and or pictures are being copied when they are used such as being sent in a message. I use Google photos on a pixel running nougat 7.1.2. I thought there might be a tool out there that would reset the file date time to the metadata daytime inside the picture. I have not been able to find this. Thank you for your help.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
As you have learned, there are two sets of dates for photos and videos.

File dates, created and modified, that reflect something changing on the file system. This affects all files of all types. Depending on the app used, copying the file may or may not change the file dates.

EXIF data, date captured and date edited. These dates are in the data inside the photos/videos. No software should change the date captured. Most editors will update the date edited as you edit the file.

Lots of picture apps will use the file dates for sorting when they should be using the EXIF dates. This is bad programming by the developer. There are multiple picture apps that do the right thing. My favorite is "piktures" by Diune:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.diune.pictures&token=fUaCOX7l

BrianB_HTX

May 28, 2017
Visit site
The app you suggested does not fix the problem. Maybe the photo filled do not have EXIF data. Still looking for a full that could reset EXIF and file date times automatically. Thanks for your help.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
In your picture viewing app, select a picture that is not sorted correctly, then view its EXIF data (tap the "i" icon?).
This will show you what data is available and what is missing.

Just out of curiosity, how are the files named?
I have my phone and cameras set to use the capture timestamp as the file name for just such an emergency.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463