Voice dial from headset defaults to speakerphone

Jay_Gatsby

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I did a search on the forum and Google, but was unable to find a satisfactory answer. In short, I have a Motorola H730 BT headset and a Moto G4 Plus (just bought it new for an amazing price - why buy the latest if you're getting a great deal?)

When I try to dial from the headset, it initiates the call but then says it is dialing from speakerphone. I've already set the H730 as a trusted device so that the phone is unlocked when in close proximity, but the lock screen doesn't seem to be the issue (unless I'm missing something).

I've seen a few threads in the past where this was an issue, so I'm sure there is a simple solution - but I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Does Motorola still have the Assist or Moto app? If so, check the settings in there, there was a setting in there on my 2013 Moto X that defaulted the phone calls to your preferred output (speaker/headset) when using the voice dial function. Motorola MAY be deferring to Google's Assistant for that now and I couldn't find this kind of option in my Nexus 6P.

Welcome to the site! We have a Moto G4 forum further down the list, it's possible someone there knows but you'll end up with parallel discussions if you post your question there so you may get confused.

For what it's worth, I use voice dial on my Nexus 6P, when using the on-phone Android Auto interface (as I don't have a compatible HU in my car). I don't press a button on my headset, I just call out "OK Google, call xxxx" and it finds the number (even finding a business number that is not in my contacts) and calls it, connecting to my headset for the audio without having to do anything else.

Jay_Gatsby

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks hallux. It doesn't appear that it has the Assist or Moto app anymore. Presumably you're correct that it's defaulting to Google's Assistant. My other phone (an iPhone) defaults to Siri, but in that case, Siri automatically dials the person in question through my headset. It doesn't make sense that Google Assistant would take voice commands, and respond aurally to those commands, then default to the speakerphone for the actual call. I tried your "OK Google" greeting, but it still defaulted to speakerphone.

Seems like I'm not the only one who has been having this problem, as I did find another thread with the same issue - unfortunately there was no solution.

Finally, the G4 forum is a little dead, so I don't expect much of a response there - it seemed more appropriate to put this in the Ask a Question forum.

Jay_Gatsby

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Scott337. You're correct that it does still have the Moto app, but there is no functionality within that app which would address the default to speakerphone upon using a bluetooth headset.

Woody3194

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Jay_Gatsby,

I have a Motorola droid turbo 2 and like you, My H730 is doing the exact same issue or problem as your. It worked great and all of the sudden, it began this mess. If you dont mind, what carrier do you have. I have verizon. Also, i noticed that my phone has updated to with new added features of calling, now added phone video, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I'm thinking that this may have crossed up things with the blue tooth. I have to say, it sucks, the whole reason to use the blue tooth is to make it hands free, not hit the button, say call the contact only to have it use the phones speaker phone and me having to hit the blue tooth button to use the head set.

In the words of Charlie Brown, "good grief".... Please let me know if you have came up with any solutions as like you, I have found limited info for this problem.

Have a safe and blessed day,

Woody