How do I chose what Google Contact Groups (Gmail) to sync to Android phone?

A

AC Question

On my iPhone, I was able to select what contact groups from Gmail i'd sync.
On my Huawei P10 (model VTR-L29) with Android 7.0, that option does not exist.

I can sync all contacts or nobody - not chose what group to sync.

I ONLY want to sync 'My Contacts' (not all other groups).

Please help - I'm going nuts trying to figure this out (and can't believe if Google makes Android less usable than ios)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You have to sync all contacts. But you can easily choose which contacts to display in the Contacts app. Tap Menu>Contacts to Display>Customize, and choose the groups to display there.

P Dahl

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
Thx B. Diddy, but I don't have that option. I can chose 'Groups' which opens an other page, where I can chose 'My Contatcs' (from Gmail), which opens an other page - and then I have the right contacts - but from Gmail only. If I want my work contacts (from Exchange) I'm even worse off, as I then have to navigate to 'Groups' and pick from 'Smart-Groups' - where my only option is 'Companies' which opens an other page where I have to find the company my contact work for - if registred - or I have to scroll all the way to the bottom where my no-company-registred contacts recide. Really really ****ty.

I want to be able to have ONE list, where all my needed contacts are (my work-contact list from Exchange + my 'My Contacts' from Gmail. And exclude the other groups from Gmail. Just like I used to be able to.

I could do like you suggest on my iPhone AND on my Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1 - so I'm not sure if it is Android (now 7.0) or the manufacturer (Samsung vs. Huawei) that causes the change.

Last edited:

P Dahl

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
Edit: I've found it! Option is still there - only the path to it is different. For other readers, here it is: right hand down corner you find 3 dots over each other with text 'more'. Pop-up show 4 options - chose 'show and preferences' (my guess - mine is an other language) - it is the top one. This bring a new page where you pick the bottom option 'adjust' (again: my guess). This bring a new page, where you chose the little down arrow in front of 'Google'. Here you pick what group you want to be displayed in Contacts. E.g. 'My Contacts' and leave the rest blank. And if you want to mix you Google 'My Contacts' with your company contact list from an other account, you will find that at the 'Google' level, where you can chose that too. And Viola! Now you have mixed your company account contacts with your private Google group 'My Contacts' group. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze