Why did clearing Firefox download list clear my downloads

A

AC Question

I selected to clear my cashe and downloads list in Firefox. My downloads folder on my phone shows the files still taking the same amount of space but when I click on them it says not found. Is there a way to get them back?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? When you say "downloads folder," do you mean the Downloads app, or the actual /Download directory in your file manager? The Downloads app doesn't always accurately reflect the files in the Download directory, especially if you delete a file directly using the file manager app (as opposed to using the Downloads app).

Matts076

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
Its an LG Escape 2 and I was in Firefox settings and selected to clear downloads which I thought would just clear the list. The files still show in my phones download folder but say not found when I click on them.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Its an LG Escape 2 and I was in Firefox settings and selected to clear downloads which I thought would just clear the list. The files still show in my phones download folder but say not found when I click on them.

Are you using a file manager app to actually view the contents of the Downloads folder itself?
The Firefox menu option to clear downloads is only clearing the listing of the files that have been download using Firefox, it is not an all-comprehensive listing of files that have actually been downloaded by other apps and services on your phone. Nor is the 'Downloads' app a comprehensive app that reflects everything, it's flawed in that it only indexes actions take by specific system apps and services.
Don't know if LG phones include a file manager app, but there are plenty of viable options on the Play Store. If you're rooted I really like Root Explorer, if not take a look at Solid Explorer or File Expert.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer. Just to be sure, as @smvim suggested, use a file manager app to look directly in the /Download folder (the full path name is /storage/emulated/0/download, or /storage/sdcard0/download).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze