Cannot access all files on phone's 32GB media card when phone is to connected PC.

GodBotherer

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I cannot access all of the files & folders on my phone's media card (32GB microSD) when the phone is connected to my PCs.

The phone is a Moto G (XT1039) with Android 5.1. The PCs are Win7HP.

The media card shows total storage of 29.5GB of which 16.8GB is still free.

The bulk of the used storage is filled with music files (a mixture of .WMAs and MP3s). Plus a varietty of documents and photos.

Using various apps on the phone (e.g. FX File Explorer, Poweramp) I can navigate around / see everything on the media card without issue.

When it is connected to the PC and viewed in Windows Explorer, in the Music folder path I can get as far as part way through the sub-folders and that's it. If I display the properties of the Music folder (on the PC), it shows 3.44GB, 1326 files and 292 folders (whereas from FX File Explorer on the phone it shows 12.2GB, 4014 files and 664 folders).

It's not a major issue (at this time) as I can remove the media card to update files, but does anyone have any idea what the issue is and how to solve it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "issue" is that some folders aren't readable (or even visible) by anything but the app that created them - and your PC isn't that app. Plugging the card into the PC is about the only way out.

GodBotherer

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. But neither suggestions really fit the bill.

The whole set of folders of the Music path on the microSD card were originally copied (very substantially en masse, with a few minor updates done later in the same way) all from the very same desktop PC (i.e. nothing downloaded on the phone).

None of the music files are copyright protected. The vast majority are WMAs ripped from my CDs, plus a number of MP3s from a selection of sources.

From the PC I can access all of the content in the first sub-folder (e.g. Music\SubFolder1) and the first 101 sub-sub-folders in the 2nd sub-folder (e.g. Music\SubFolder2\SubSubFolder001 thru Music\SubFolder2\SubSubFolder101) but SubSubFolder102 to SubSubFolder147 are then inaccessible, PLUS all of SubFolder3 thru SubFolder8 are inaccessible.

These very same files have been copied to a microSD card on a Samsung Tab A and are all still accessible from the PC.

Any further thoughts?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci