I recently upgraded my Samsung J5 software, I am struggling to move my apps to my SD card. Unlike before when you can go to application manager and show the move to SD card option. This new software does not have that option. Please help
    06-14-2017 05:54 PM
    Which Android version did you upgrade to? Have checked all options within the application manager page?
    If Android Marshmallow, there should have a "Storage" option where "Move to SD card" is on.
    PS: You may know it, but it is worth to mention that not all apps can be moved to SD card.
    06-15-2017 03:13 AM
    I recently upgraded my Samsung J5 software, I am struggling to move my apps to my SD card. Unlike before when you can go to application manager and show the move to SD card option. This new software does not have that option. Please help
    I'm also experiencing the same thing. Please help!!
    04-08-2018 12:31 PM
    Most apps can no longer be moved to the SD card (they won't work if you move them, so the developer, in an attempt to not having to answer thousands of emails complaining about the app not working, just turns off the ability to be moved). (Google used have warnings all over the place that widgets can't be installed to the SD card. They gave that up when everyone complained about it. They still can't run from SD cards, they just don't tell you any more.)

Also, the way apps are written these days, you only move very small pieces of an app - and leave a link in internal storage pointing to where that piece has been moved to (specifically where on the SD card) - so if the piece moved is smaller than the link, you're actually ending up with less free internal space. So even if we neglect the fact that an app that, because a particular piece was moved to the SD card, constantly writes to the SD card (which shortens the card's life tremendously), moving apps to the SD card is a bad idea.

It used to be a good idea, when almost all of the app was moved in large chunks - so you moved 1k of app and replaced it with 50 bytes of link, saving 950 bytes. But now, you can be moving 45 bytes of app and replacing it with 50 bytes of link. That just lost you 5 bytes of internal storage for that one chunk. Multiply it by 1,000 chunks and moving the app to the SD card loses 1k if free internal space. (And that would be a small app.)

Evidently Samsung has decides that, for some phones (the J5 has only 8GB total storage), they just aren't allowing it any more. (They also don't allow adoptable storage. Maybe it's just a way to make you buy a phone with more storage. 32GB is barely enough these days, and if you want to future-proof your purchase, go for 64GB - we'll need it in the future.)
    04-08-2018 02:04 PM