New phone advice - Moto 5, Nextbit Robin or Wileyfox? In UK

A

AC Question

Hi, finally retiring my Nexus 5 and I am looking for a new phone under £170.

Spec hunting has drawn me to the Moto 5g ( the safe bet) but I like the idea of the more indie manufacturers so have been looking at Nextbit or Wileyfox.

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been very impressed with my nextbit. Bought my first a year ago for $299, still runs great. Bought a backup when the price dropped to $150, but wound up giving it to my Mom. Just bought a 3rd yesterday when amazon had it on sale for $117.
The cloud stuff works pretty well, but I don't come close to filling the 32 GB so I turned it off. The stock launcher is pretty wonky, but Google Now runs great on it. And they do a good job on updates, already running Nougat 7.1.1. The hardware is good, it's not too big or too small, and it runs pretty much like stock android. Battery and camera are both fine. All in all I am pretty happy with it.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Like Mike, I just bought my Nextbit Robin from Amazon for $117, and like OP it was to replace my Nexus 5. I agree word for word with what Mike said. It's a pretty stock version of Android for the most part especially with the Google Now launcher, so not so much of a wrench coming from a Nexus, and getting a $400 phone for this price (or even the regular discounted price) is a steal. Definitely a mid-ranger, but so is the Nexus 5. I'm very pleased with it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How's the battery life for the Robin? I recently suggested this phone for a friend, but battery life is important to him.

It's good to see that Razer is continuing support for the phone, but I wish we knew what their definite plans are in the next few years regarding the cloud.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had it long enough to give an idea of battery life yet, but I'll report sometime next week.

Apparently Razer stops all warranty support in August, but there's a chance we'll get O, so software support is still going strong. I have the April security patch, waiting to see if we get May and/or June.

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Been using it as my daily driver for over a year now. Battery is fine for normal use. I leave the blue tooth turned on pretty much 24/7 for podcasting to speakers or headphones and my battery rarely ever dips below 50%. But I also rarely if ever use it for video,games or any other screen intensive activity. Lots of calls, texting and podcasting though. Constantly going in and out of my pocket to check something. But it is QC 2.0, and it does charge pretty quick on the rare occasions I dip under 50%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38