My wife has been using the default "Messages" app on her phone. She's asked me to help her use a different text messaging app. This should be easy enough, I download the new messaging app, set it as the default app. The messages move over, however when I open any conversation thread I only see responses from whomever she was texting, none of her text messages that she sent show up.

I've now tried this using three different texting scenarios (FaceBook Messenger, the new Android Messages, and SMS Messenger (For desktop texting)). In each case, the same result happens.

I have done the following steps in troubleshooting.
    1. Uninstall all text messaging apps other than the default messaging app which I cannot remove.
    2. Go to Settings -> Device Maintenance -> Storage -> Storage Settings and cleared the system cache data.
    3. Restart the phone, reinstall one of the messaging apps.
    4. Change default messaging app.

The same thing happens. I've googled about every search term I can find and haven't found much more to check. Some people indicated checking the system date and time, which are correct. The only other thing I know to do is to do a factory reset which I don't want to do as I'm afraid she'll wind up losing all of her messages and other items such as photos, etc... in that case.

Any ideas?

Her phone is the following:
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Active
    Android 7.0

Please let me know if you need any other information.
    06-19-2017 11:18 AM
    Same problem on my S8 plus pretty odd but makes ya wonder if Samsung did this intentionally.
    06-19-2017 04:27 PM
    Have you tried using a 3rd party app like SMS Backup & Restore and then importing the backup into the new texting app?
    lucianus_luciferus likes this.
    06-19-2017 06:38 PM
    An update on this. I tried using sms backup & Restore like jumblednonsense suggested. Unfortunately, SMS Backup and Restore only sees the received messages as well. Something in the phone itself is broken in regards to how SMS messages are being sent I assume. The only thing I know to try is a full reset which will lose her text messages as well I assume.
    06-20-2017 02:02 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but I too am having the same problem, but my phone is an LG G6. I was using the LG messaging app, but then switched to the Android Messages app, and it shows some of my sent messages, but most of them are missing. I do see all of the received messages. Surely someone knows what this is. So this has happened on Samsung and LG phones now, so it isn't a phone manufacturer issue. Does everyone here use AT&T? That is who I use. If so, maybe it is an AT&T issue?
    03-06-2018 09:50 PM
    Is there anybody out there that has a solution for this?
    05-09-2018 01:27 PM
    Do you use wifi calling on your phone? Turn if off and see if that helps

(It seems like a strange answer but just turn it off and try)
    05-09-2018 01:40 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I use LG's Messaging and wanted to try Android Messages (to use Messages for Web) but not many of my sent messages show up. I've noticed this problem with other SMS apps too.

It will also sometimes take hours to receive text messages, especially when I use the group messaging and have an ongoing conversation. Do the number of text messages have anything to do with this?
    06-22-2018 10:22 AM
    I'm having the same problem. I use LG's Messaging and wanted to try Android Messages (to use Messages for Web) but not many of my sent messages show up. I've noticed this problem with other SMS apps too.
    Go back to using your LG Messaging, then back up with SMS B&R. Switch to using Android Messages and restore.

It will also sometimes take hours to receive text messages, especially when I use the group messaging and have an ongoing conversation. Do the number of text messages have anything to do with this?
    If you're using SMS, it's your carrier. If you're using Android Messages, and using Web messaging, it's Android Messages. (Web messaging may still have a few bugs to work out.)
    06-22-2018 01:51 PM
    AT&T enhanced message/RCS issue maybe?
    06-22-2018 02:54 PM
    If you're using SMS, it's your carrier. If you're using Android Messages, and using Web messaging, it's Android Messages. (Web messaging may still have a few bugs to work out.)
    So Android Messages on Web works through the carrier system. It's not "web messaging".

Try this - set up Android Messages Web.

Turn your phone off.

99% sure that Android Messages on Web stops working because:

https://support.google.com/messages/...035843860&rd=1

You can use your computer to chat with your friends through Messages for web, which shows what’s on your Messages mobile app. Messages for web sends SMS messages using a connection from your computer to your phone, so carrier fees will apply, just like on the mobile app.
    What Android Messages Web does is essentially -

Android Messages on your Android phone gives Android Messages Web permission to also handle your SMS/MMS messages.
    When you take an action on Android Message Web, it actually routes it back to your phone, which then handles routing it through the carrier system.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-22-2018 02:58 PM
    AT&T enhanced message/RCS issue maybe?
    I agree. Do you have a possible solution?
    06-22-2018 03:29 PM
    Hey I'm still having this problem as well on my Samsung S7. Switching from stock app to Android Message, I've tried the SMS Backup and Restore and nothing happens after I hit restore and wait 30 minutes for all the messages to "be restored". Has anyone had any luck any other way? I really like the Android Messages app but good lord this is frustrating.
    07-11-2018 09:59 PM