I also installed a screenshot app, but when I long press the power and home buttons, Google Assistant comes up. How can I just take a screenshot?
    06-20-2017 02:51 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Make sure you're pressing the Home and Power buttons at exactly the same time. If you're pressing the Home button first, even by a fraction of a second, it may think you're just long-pressing the Home button.
    06-20-2017 03:03 PM
    I am also facing same issue. Also Pressing home button after I press the power button. Seems Somewhere some setting is changed
    01-04-2018 05:38 AM
    Same problem for me. Galaxy S5, no screenshot app, just the normal built in screenshot is to press the home and power button simultaneously. But recently, maybe like a month ago, all of a sudden Google assistant pops up instead, and I can not take a screenshot. I've tried pressing the home button a fraction of a second before the power button, I've tried pressing the power button a fraction of a second before the home button. I've tried them both ABSOLUTELY simultaneously (please don't tell me I'm not pressing them both at the same time, I assure you I've done that to exhaustion). I'm guessing it was some update that changed it. What is a good workaround?

This is very frustrating. Been taking screenshots the same way for a couple years with this phone, and now Google assistant has hijacked the home button. Ludicrous that android or whomever decided to do this, and completely disable my screenshot ability, an essential function. I don't use Google assistant, is there some other method I can take a screen shot?

I've combed the internet for a solution to this problem, and I have yet to find one.
    Closest solution I've found is to "rollback" my Google app to a previous version by disabling it or uninstalling it through my application manager in phone settings. But then that makes my phone act up and freeze and crash, and then it automatically re-updates the Google app/assistant anyway after a day or so. So that is not a solution.

Someone please help!
    Julie Donovan likes this.
    01-30-2018 11:15 AM
    Yes!! I also have a Samsung Galaxy and this is driving me to distraction. I've had the phone for well over 2 years and have habitually taken screenshots on a daily basis during that entire time. Now suddenly, Google Assistant is throwing itself in my face and photo bombing my screenshots every single time. Definitely some sort of update has happened and it's making me crazy. Have switched off every setting I can find and it's still happening. I suspect it's to do with Google assistant being able to recognise when you want to take a screenshot but it's just messing with the normal screenshot functionality in and really annoying way.
    02-08-2018 11:50 PM
    I am not experiencing that, but I have my Google Assistant turned off. You may have to turn it off in Google's settings.
    02-08-2018 11:55 PM
    OK wtf anyone fugure this out yet? Google assistant needs to be put down.
    02-23-2018 12:37 AM
    OK wtf anyone fugure this out yet? Google assistant needs to be put down.
    Whats to figure out? Turn off assistant. Open Google app>Settings>Google Assistant>Settings>Phone>Off
    02-23-2018 02:22 AM
    Whats to figure out? Turn off assistant. Open Google app>Settings>Google Assistant>Settings>Phone>Off
    I just did that. Followed your directions exactly. Then I tried taking a screenshot to test it out & I still got the Google Assistant, only with a new link to turn it on.

So, any other suggestions...?
    03-16-2018 08:19 PM
    I just did that. Followed your directions exactly. Then I tried taking a screenshot to test it out & I still got the Google Assistant, only with a new link to turn it on.

So, any other suggestions...?
    Well the only problem I can think of left is you're not pressing power and home at the exact same time. That's the only way I can replicate your issues.
    03-16-2018 08:20 PM
    Same issue here - Google Assistant hijacks the screenshot process. Press Home+Power and the screen border flashes white to show a shot has been taken (as the instruction states will happen), but then Google Assistant opens *even though it's switched off*. No screenshot is stored in gallery, none is shown in the notification drop menu.

It certainly seems that Assistant is over-riding the screenshot process somewhere between the shot being captured and saved.

It's infuriating.

Edit: This on a Galaxy Tab A SM-T 585 btw
    03-29-2018 09:15 PM
    Good news everybody! I have figured this out. ChanChan05 was very close to fixing it, but I figured out what he/she missed.
    1. Google app>Settings> Google Assistant> settings>phone
    2. Scroll down to setting "Use Screen Context" and turn that off.
    Now you can take a screenshot and you don't even have to turn off Assistant if you don't want to. Hope this helps.
    I am a Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime user.
    04-24-2018 12:02 PM
    What "google app"? Do you mean the playstore? What kind of sadism is this? I never consented to my screenshots to be hijacked or even have the possibility of being hijacked and yet that's what's being done. Either end it immediately or I will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for bait and switch tactics. Or maybe the FCC for deliberately hacking my phone's functions.
    12-10-2018 11:03 PM
    Android Central is a community of enthusiasts. There is no affiliation between Android Central and Google, Samsung or any other company.
    12-10-2018 11:06 PM
    I had exactly the same struggle. Massive frustration. Here's how I solved it.

In App settings you have to show System apps, then you can see Assistant Menu. I fiddled with the handful of settings for that and Google Assistant went away when I tried to printscreen.

But I still couldn't printscreen. I put the app settings back to the defaults of everything on. Magically, Google Assistant was still gone, no matter how many convoluted combinations of button mashing I tried.

That's when I found the real answer.

You must press the buttons rather precisely as has been described above, meaning virtually at the same time. Where I was going wrong was to not HOLD the buttons down long enough. That's IT!

If you press the buttons properly, just hold them until the screen photo is taken. Voila.

On my Galaxy 7 it takes about 1 point 3 seconds. Hmmm, maybe 1 point 6 seconds. Point being, don't release the buttons immediately after pressing, which is what I was doing, which made me cry

Press and wait a bit, works every time.

The Google Assistant part remains a mystery.....
    05-16-2019 11:11 AM
    I had this problem. The solution is if you can't beat them join them. Turn on Google Assistant. Turn on screen context. Now when you press home and power Google Assistant will offer you the option of a screenshot. You don't need split second timing.
    09-20-2019 01:07 PM