Google play services permissions

A

AC Question

I puchased an android phone from Samsung. However I am inclined to believe that the google play services is more of a spying app then anything else. The amount of permissions that we are forcefully having to provide is beyond intrusive...I cannot for the life of me understand why you need to know what the speed of my car is while I am driving, or why you need access to my microphone or why you need to be able to read the contents of my text msgs or to listen in on my phone calls or who I associate with on my contacts list. When I puechased this phone that was absolutelynot the reason for doing so. Of course removing it would hinder the phone because it would prevent you from continuing to spy on everyone....absolutely NOT okay.....that is the true cause of the battery draining....constant survelience of your consumers. This should NOT be legal of any company without a valid court ortder!! I will NOT purchase another android phone....I would rather stick with apple.....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I am not sure if Apple's permissions are any different. You can manage the permissions in Settings>apps, however, this may have adverse effects in other apps that you use.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google Play Services is essentially the hub where many, if not most, apps plug into in order to access Google's proprietary functionality. There's no spying or any other hyperbolic stuff going on; that's just silly. Read their privacy policy if you are concerned about it and read Apple's too. Google is the stronger policy from both a privacy and security standpoint.