Multiple Adroid Devices Showing Extremely Delayed Response

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy Tab S3, a Galaxy S7 Edge and my wife's LG G6 that all seem to be responding very slow for no apparent reason. Just started last night and today. Badge notifications not refreshing, Play downloads not installing or taking significant time to install, no response when pull-down notifications at tapped, etc. Anyone else seeing this? I thought it was just my tablet, until my wife reported the same experience on her G6.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Things in common would be home wifi and carrier, have you checked those?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello and thanks for the welcome... I have joined.

So all three devices are currently experiencing this issue, but we are currently not connected to the same WiFi as we are both at work. Additionally the two phones are on the same carrier, but the Tab S3 is not on a carrier, only on WiFi. Also the issues do not seem to be connectivity related as the updates download with no issue, they just won't install or take singificant time to install. I installed a new app as a test and after downloading the file in only a couple of seconds, it hung for almost 20 minutes before installing and then it was another 5 minutes before I got an update that the insall completed and the shortcut was created.

I also went in and tried to do a manual download check for a System Software update and I get no response from it, whereas typically the response is an immediate "your system is already up to date" message. It is extremely odd behavior and even more odd that it is happening on two different manufactures of devices.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome as a new member! You obviously have a Poltergeist infection :)

Agree, it is strange. It sounds like something is running in the background, or your system cache is jumbled. Have you by chance installed the same app on all three recently? If not, try booting each into safe mode and see if that helps. If so, then you probably have an app issue. If no help there I would try clearing the system cache on all three.

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
So I can't think of anything that has been installed on all three of them since yesterday, for that matter I there isn't even anything installed new on my two devices in the last several days.

I tried clearing the system cache on my S7 and then booted it into Safe Mode. Neither had any effect on the behavior. 30-minute chat session with Google Play support provided nothing other than things I had already tried and a suggestion to reset the device and reload everything.

I am beginning to wonder if this is an issue with Nougat since all three devices are on that version...

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't think Nougat is the problem. Sometimes after an OS upgrade things get muddled up, but clearing the system cache usually fixes that. I'm at a loss unfortunately. A reset is an option at this point, but I can't get over that all three are having the same problem. You might, just for kicks, take the least used and do a factory reset and see how it goes. Hate to recommend that though. I've posted a note in our internal support app in hopes somebody else has some ideas.

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
Probably not as much as I hate to do it... But at this point unless there is an issue going on with the rest of the Android world that they haven't noticed yet, I can't think of anything else to do other than do a reset...

Thanks for the ideas!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
unless there is an issue going on with the rest of the Android world

We could blame it on Putin or N. Korea I guess. Why not wait for a couple days to see if I turn up anything on our response system. I'd ask the Mods to move the thread to a device forum, but as you have 3 different ones don't think that would help at this point.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Could be a common app causing the issue on all three devices. Possible culprits, Facebook, and ANY carrier's system app, such as the T-Mobile App, or the Verizon App for example. You know the app that lets you manage your account on the phone? Those are notorious resource hogs, and of course so is the Facebook app. Facebook is THE first app I remove from someone's phone when they tell me the phone is sluggish.

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
pkcable,
Thanks for the ideas. One of the devices is not a carrier devices so even though the two phones share the same carrier apps the third device does not. It isn't that the devices are running sluggish all the way around. It is primarily anything that has to do with updating the sytem or the apps that seems to be the issue. The apps just won't install after they have downloaded or there is a significant delay (40-45 minutes) in installation. The odd behavior is the delay in response to anything at the systems level. Asking to check for a manual update or even trying to change a setting like keyboard input. If I pull down the menu and chose to select a different keyboard it is 8-10 minutes before the dialogue to choose a keyboard option even displays. Meanwhile starting up any app from scratch is very responsive.

I am at a total loss. I have never seen a device exhibit this kind of odd behavior...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Definitely a weird problem. I'm inclined to agree with Pkcable and PJRed2008, the cause could be an app, or some particular configuration, that the three devices share. Is there any Google account that all of them share? Do you use the developer options on all of them?

Continuing with PJRed2008 idea you could check out RAM usage, battery stats and running apps and see if any app/process is using more resources than expected.

Also, there's a funny bug that causes problems with the notification shade, as you reported. Can you switch between 'guest' and 'owner' user in any of the three devices? If so, see if it makes any difference with the notifications.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
This is one good reason to have either App Backup & Restore or Helium installed in any phone or tablet. You install a new app, you back it up (to external SD or if the SD is adoptable, save the folder to your PC). Then, if you have to reset, just use the app to reinstall all the apps you want reinstalled. (AB&R doesn't save the apps' data, Helium does. AB&R can backup all the apps to one file, because they can be restored to any device. Helium would require 3 backup folders in your case, because sometimes it won't backup from one and restore to another.)

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
So yes reboot was tried several times on all three devices.

The three devices do not all three have a Google account in common. My two devices use my two Google accounts, but the third device is my wife's which does not use the same accounts.

System cache was cleared in both the S7 and Tab S3, at that time I also booted both devices to safe mode where basically nothing was running on them other than the core Android functions. The behavior still existed even with very little draw on the RAM or other resources.

So here is the latest on this... I decided to just skip over all the try this and try that stuff and pick one of the devices to reset. I reset the tablet (Tab S3) since it is the one of the three devices that could be done with out while it was getting reloaded. So reset it and have started reinstalling everying. Installs and updates on the reset tablet are working perfectly as is all of the interaction with the system level functions (drop down, system update, etc.).

In the mean time the S7, which is my phone has now started running through the app upgrades with no issues. And with no intervention from me. It will also let me run a manual system update check and return an immediate response and the interaction with the system functions like the pull down are all back to normal. I have no clue how doing something to one device would have addressed an issue with a completely different device, but that is either what happened or the timing of it getting fixed was conincidence.

In any event, the S7 has just started working perfectly on its own and the Tab S3 got complete refreshed. I will see what my wife has to say about her phone when I get home...

Technology is such a cool thing... NOT!

andyatencio

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
And just as a final follow-up... When my wife got home I asked her about her phone. She said at roughly 4:15ish our time her phone just starting notifiying her of comlpeted software updates. She said it ran through all 23 of them that were sitting there "pending download" since Wednesday evening. Also all of the sluggish response she was seeing, same as my two devices, just stopped.

I felt like I was sitting in front of a static-covered TV screen saying "They're here..."

Once again thank you for all the ideas and input.

Peace!
Andy

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While highly unlikely MAYBE Samsung and LG both released OS updates on the same day and in Samsung's case for multiple devices again also unlikely BUT possible, and these background updates are what was bogging down the rest of your downloads? Android DOES do month patches and often they ARE released towards the end of the month. Who know? BUT just glad you are all back in business. Also welcome to Android Central. Please have a look around and stay a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol