I have a non-rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note running Android 6.0.1. I take pictures with it and I have apps that automatically upload/sync the pics to the cloud (Google Photos App, Flickr App).

At the house, we have metered/pricey internet. I don't want Flickr, GooglePhotos and most other apps to use bandwidth when it's connected to the home wifi.

(How) Can I set whitelist or blacklist for which apps can use the internet when it's using SSID HomeWiFi321?

I'd like to grant universal bandwidth access to these apps only: gmail, calendar, contacts, a tasklist app. When I say "universal", I mean that even if gmail is not what I'm looking at, I want them to sync as usual.

But all other apps, I want to block access. For example, Google Play (to installing or updating of apps).

I was digging around in the Android settings. There seems to be two relevant features.
    Both are in Settings > Connections > Data_Usage > three-dot overflow menu button.
    The first is Restrict_Background_Data. The second is Mobile_Hotspots, where I've toggled HomeWifi321 as a mobile hotspot.

Are doing these two things enough? I just want to be economical with the home bandwidth. Thanks.
    07-06-2017 11:44 PM
    I have Adguard on my devices. It has a granular firewall and I can individually allow /deny WiFi /mobile data access to all applications.
    07-07-2017 12:35 AM
    tim1954,
    thanks for your reply.
    is there a way for Adguard to work based on which wifi network I'm on? You see, I don't trust myself to remember to switch off the blockage when I'm back on a non-metered wifi connection.
    07-21-2017 03:06 PM
    NoRoot Data Firewall seems to have the granularity you want - allow/deny wifi and allow/deny mobile data - for each app. It's free, so try it. (As far as deny on this wifi/allow on other wifi, I don't know - I don't think you'll find any app with that fine a granularity.)
    07-21-2017 03:57 PM