My phone just displayed the messege "unfortunately stock android has stopped working".

A

AC Question

I was given 2 options "wait" & "ok". I chose ok hoping this was a one-time glitch. My phone is a ZTE ZFIVE 2. I live on a fixed income & at present it's rather difficult to get just go out & buy a new phone (if this persists & crashes my phone making it unusable).

My phone is a ZTE ZFIVE2. T last thing I used my phone for last night was signing back into Google & connecting my YouTube account to my Xbox 360. Google Chrome popped up & asked the usual permission questions (I can't remember the exact wording) but I had to click "Ok" & "Yes Now". (I honestly can't remember if there was a 3rd prompt ((sorry)). After doing this I accessed my Google account without incident & completed my business. This morning the 1st thing I saw on my phone was that msg "unfortunately stock Android has stopped working. I suspect Google Chrome had something to do with it but if GC is essential to phone functionality what can I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It actually said "stock Android"? I've never heard of that in an error message before. Are you sure it wasn't something like "Unfortunately, the process android.process.[xyz] has stopped"?

What happens if you reboot the phone? How often does it happen?

Mar1anna

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It actually said "stock Android"? I've never heard of that in an error message before. Are you sure it wasn't something like "Unfortunately, the process android.process.[xyz] has stopped"?

What happens if you reboot the phone? How often does it happen?

It also happens to me only not as polite. I get STOCK ANDROID HAS STOPPED. It is starting to happen at LEAST ten times a day or more and I reboot two or three times a day. I am not at all phone savvy so I hit OK then I just clench my teeth and hope for the best. I have no idea what it means but I too have a ZTE ZMAX PRO.

Also I do not get to choose between answers. There is only OK then it goes back to home screen with icons. I don't clear my own caches because I have that app with the picture of the broom (I think Clean Master) and the Blue one with the shield. I can't imagine what it means.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's still a strange error message, because I doubt there's an app that is actually called "Stock Android." Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and look through the apps to see if something there is called Stock Android.

It won't hurt to wipe the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33455. Don't use Clean Master or any similar app -- those kinds of apps often cause more problems than they solve. If you can uninstall Clean Master (i.e., if it wasn't preinstalled on the phone), then I would recommend to do so.

If the problem persists, then see what happens in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33428. This will temporarily disable any 3rd party app you installed, and can tell you if the problem is being caused by one of them vs something with the system.

mtwash71

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's still a strange error message, because I doubt there's an app that is actually called "Stock Android." Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and look through the apps to see if something there is called Stock Android.

It won't hurt to wipe the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33455. Don't use Clean Master or any similar app -- those kinds of apps often cause more problems than they solve. If you can uninstall Clean Master (i.e., if it wasn't preinstalled on the phone), then I would recommend to do so.

If the problem persists, then see what happens in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33428. This will temporarily disable any 3rd party app you installed, and can tell you if the problem is being caused by one of them vs something with the system.

I am having the same issue. I have tried everything and it still comes up. Very strange. I don't remember my phone doing a recent update it seems it just started happening.

Jason727

Dec 28, 2017
Visit site
I've been getting this message unfortunately stock Android has stopped ever since the phone came out of the box with no apps on the phone what should I do this is my fourth zMAX Pro

MrBarackClinton

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
I think I've figured it out? I was having the same issue with my ZTE ZMAX Pro. It even got to the point that all of my apps would crash and I'd get an error message saying that the app wasn't functioning properly. So I went into Settings/apps/stock android and cleared cache and data. It resets the home screen but so far so good.
Let me know if it helps.

KPGee9

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Definitely uninstall the cleaner app(which btw is recommended in an article on android central as a must have tool XP"") this app has NOT recognized the app as a system app and has deleted some system operations thinking It's a "large file" and unnecessary but taking up storage space (!) I've found this out a bit too late and am now getting the same pop-up even after disabling notifications so it won't let me use ANYTHING unless It's already open in my app drawer so I'm unable to access any apps to uninstall, disable, enable, ANYTHING...I'm getting desperate is there anything that will fix this (factory reset unable to complete without "stock android" ridiculous!) please I really need my phone to be working or at least have access to my contacts!?) HELP AND CEN it was your must have App recommendation that started this madness!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance