What exactly is the reason? I can't think of one. While I don't travel a lot, it sure would be handy to simply select from one of two sims already in the phone while traveling overseas. To be able to switch between the US sim or the British sim (in my case). Sure, it's not really a big deal to switch them out manually, but it's one less thing to worry about. Keeping that itty bitty sim card in your wallet ready for the changeover isn't as preferable.
    07-15-2017 11:58 PM
    I'd guess it has to do with how dominant US carriers have been when it comes to how consumers get their phones. Not too long ago, pretty much everyone in the US got their phones through their carriers with the 2 year contract. Since carriers wanted to lock you in, there would have been no incentive to give you the ability to access a different carrier's network.

Another reason is that there aren't many different carriers in the US -- just two GSM and two CDMA. It's therefore easier for phones to be made that support all of the bands that AT&T and T-Mobile use, and so a 2nd SIM slot isn't necessary. (The difference between CDMA and GSM is another story, but at least more phones are being made that support both networks). People who live outside the US are more likely to use different carriers that use significantly different bands, so it makes more sense for international variants to offer dual-SIM capability.
    07-17-2017 12:14 PM
    Another reason is that in Europe and Asia, mainly, (not so much in Africa) you can travel 5 minutes and be in a different country and need a different carrier. In the US, you can drive for days and still be covered by the same carrier. (Most carriers have poor coverage deep in the woods, far from civilization, where few tourists go but still, most of them cover from 90% to 98% of the country, and if you're really far from civilization, no carrier will have coverage.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:26 PM