Why I can't update?

Arejoe

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
When I went to "About Device" to check for updates I received a message telling me the operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorised way and I cannot update my device. I have Samsung Galaxy Note2 4.4.2

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome as a new member! I've been seeing that exact problem reported lately, but no real solution. You can look at this as an option if you have a PC:

Consider using Samsung's Smart Switch tool. That's Samsung's consumer-level maintenance app. It runs on your PC. Smart Switch will identify your phone, grab and then install the latest firmware for your specific device. Click the oval button labeled MORE in the top right corner. Then hit EMERGENCY SOFTWARE RECOVERY. Sit back and follow the instructions.

You could also contact Samsung tech support but I doubt you'll get any resolution from them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The last Samsung update for the Note 2 was 4.4.2, which is why you can't update it past that.

You can install Cyanogen 12.1 on most Note 2s (not AT&T or Verizon, possibly not on some others also), but that's Cyanogen, not the official Nougat ROM.

Flagship devices (like the Note series) are usually supported through 2 versions, but that's it. There are hardware changes to newer phones that a newer version of Android can't support on an older phone because the hardware isn't in it, and Samsung is in the business of selling you another device every year or so, not giving you free updates forever, so they set a limit.