For the last few days I've been seeing this dot app that expands into a shortcut menu with a lot of ads. It has absolutely no menu, no settings, no identification so I can figure out to uninstall it. It just stays on the screen and who knows what info it can phish.

What I managed to find out:
    - the app has a search bar that uses either yahoo search or something called ABC launcher (maybe the name of the app?). This name appears in the footer of the search page, along with terms and about links, except none of the links work.
    - The name Swipe also appeared on the app at one moment..

So far I did the following:
    - Ran just about all top 5 free antivirus apps out there
    - Entered safe mode to deactivate all overlay apps (the dot is not visible in safe mode, btw), to no avail.
    - Searched in file explorer for the names Swipe, ABC launcher, to no avail..

Any ideas how to get rid of it?
    07-18-2017 09:52 AM
    Welcome to the forums. You should go to Settings, Apps and start looking there for the search words you used in file explorer. As the dot didn't show up in safe mode then you know its an installed app (pretty apparent anyway) and something will show up in Apps. It most likely rode in with a game download.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    07-18-2017 09:58 AM
    Welcome to the forums. You should go to Settings, Apps and start looking there for the search words you used in file explorer. As the dot didn't show up in safe mode then you know its an installed app (pretty apparent anyway) and something will show up in Apps. It most likely rode in with a game download.
    Thanks, I wish it were that easy. Of course I had looked for the app in the app manager.. It's not listed there apparently.. Maybe it came with an update to some other app? Still suspicious however for the reasons I mentioned in the post.
    07-18-2017 10:10 AM
    I had looked for the app in the app manager
    Couldn't assume that It will be there somewhere, you just need to ferret out the correct name. Sorry, I know its annoying.
    07-18-2017 10:18 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Can you post a screenshot? That 'swipe' thing sounds like a feature included in apps like ES File Explorer or Clean Master. Do you have any of these apps installed?
    kutezz likes this.
    07-18-2017 10:22 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Can you post a screenshot? That 'swipe' thing sounds like a feature included in apps like ES File Explorer or Clean Master. Do you have any of these apps installed?
    Hi Havier,

I just played with a couple of apps in a third-party app manager and when force closing ES File Explorer I noticed the dot disappeared. If I switched to the home screen, it reappeared but I now had something to look into. So I finally found it in the ES menu and managed to deactivate it from there. This happened just before reading your post - you were spot on! :-)

Anyway, I would still argue that it's suspicious that the ES Swipe feature has no identification or options to deactivate. I've wasted about 4.5 hrs to identify and deactivate it. Questionable practice or maybe negligence?

Thanks to both of you. Matter settled.
    Javier P likes this.
    07-18-2017 12:50 PM
    Glad you managed to find the culprit and remove that menu. Yeah, ES have been doing some cuestionable things lately. I used their app, and recommended it, for a very long time. After they sold the company the app started to push ads and included unnecessary and weird features. I uninstalled it several months ago and now I recommend Total Commander or Solid.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2017 12:59 PM
    Another satisfied customer! You guys are good! :-)
    07-18-2017 08:00 PM