I normally do not switch off my phone. I had to recently on an international flight. I changed the password like 2 months ago but I cannot for the life of me remember it. Now I cannot switch on my phone without the password. When I switch on the power button, a black screen comes up and asks me to enter a password for device srart up. I cannot remember it. I tried different passwords but none if it worked. I now have only one chance before it automatically resets to factory settings. I have so many photos in the phone and I really don't want to lose them. Is there a way around the start-up password? Can I access the phone without a factory reset? Please help! Thank you!
    07-20-2017 06:12 PM
    Welcome to Android Central. You can't bypass the security, you have to have the account credentials to open the phone. If the phone does factory reset, you will also need the account credentials to access the phone after the reset.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    07-20-2017 06:26 PM
    Hi!

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have a Samsung account. But the password for the start up is different right? I have not forgotten my password for the online Samsung account. I can access it. I just cannot access the phone because I have forgotten the password for start up because I changed it recently and I longer remember what I changed it into, but only the old password.

So there is absolutely no way to resolve this issue without losing the photographs?

Thank you.
    07-20-2017 06:47 PM
    Welcome as a new member. You don't access with a Samsung account, you need Google. Go online with a PC to the Android Device Manager website and log in using your Google account. You should then be able to access the phone to reset the PW.
    07-20-2017 07:00 PM
    For the Android Device Manager to work, you need the phone connected to wifi or data. But the phone is not on - because to switch itself on, it needs the start up password And it this password that I do not remember.
    07-20-2017 07:22 PM
    A bit of hypnosis might retrieve the password.
    07-21-2017 07:25 AM
    What about going to your service provider's store and see if they can save your data or even unlock your phone.
    07-21-2017 12:26 PM
    I was actually thinking of that :P Cz I changed the password recently, and I remember doing so. So maybe hypnosis can make me remember the actual password
    wayne zilla and belodion like this.
    07-21-2017 04:58 PM
    Thank you so much for replying. Yes, it boots up to the point that "Samsung" flashes on the screen. And then there is a black screen and it says to enter the password for device startup. There is an option for emergency calls. But that's all there is.

No I have no changed passwords for my Samsung and Google password accounts.

I set a password. But this is not the normal screen lock password, but one that is required for the device to start up. I already tried the Samsung Find My Mobile feature, by myself as well as with two people from Samsung customer care on the phone with me. Although my phone is listed on the Find My Mobile page, it does not show up. The page says "locating the device" contonuisly but does not do so. And when I press the "unlock" option, it flashes for a while showing as if it trying to unlock but after a while gives the message that "the function will be executed when the device is next connected to a network". So I think for either the Find My Mobile or the Device Manager to work, the phone has to to on and detecting eitehr wifi or data networks.

It has not been factory reset. I am trying to avoid that because I am trying to save my photographs. I have one more try for the correct password, after which it will factory reset automatically. Once the phone is reset I can use it. But the issue is I want to try to save the files.

No, I have no changes my Google accounts etc.
    07-21-2017 05:09 PM
    They cannot. Because the phone is not on
    07-21-2017 05:10 PM
    you will have better luck unlocking the SCREEN with Samsung's Find my Mobile site.
    I usually don't use that because Verizon disables that on it's phones.
    07-21-2017 05:18 PM
    I cannot. I even called Samsung customer care and they also tried from their end using my username / password. The password I have forgotten is the device START UP password. Not the screen lock password. If it was the screen lock password, it can be done because the device would already be on and visible via Find My Mobile etc.
    07-21-2017 05:23 PM
    Okay well what if the startup password and unlock password are the same. I lost my phone for a month so I've had the same problem. Phone is off and I don't remember password. Could I possibly call my samsung support and get them to change my password, and then I could turn my phone off and use the password they have set?
    04-10-2018 08:41 PM
    If your startup pattern and screen lock pattern are the same, do you think it would work then?
    04-10-2018 10:37 PM
    Hi there!
    I have faced the same problem. I set the start up password 1 month ago which i have forgotten now. I have only 3 chances left before it goes to factory reset option. I also want to retrieve the photographs of last 1 week. Have you figured out how to solve your problem? If yes, please share.
    11-10-2018 11:47 PM