Do I need to buy a new phone?

Laelia

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
First a few details about my phone: Type- Samsung Galaxy Stardust, OS- Android 4.3 , Carrier- Tracfone . Unrooted.

Here's what's happening : #1 Multiple apps are crashing one at a time. These include: settings, Chrome, system UI, touch wiz home, google play store, google play services, internet, etc. All give me the message:" [Insert app name] has stopped."

#2 . After this, my phone reboots itself, but doesn't actually shut off. It just sticks at the Tracfone logo. Sometimes after about 10mins or more it'll either bring itself back or I'll have to hold the power button. It takes a few times for me to finally get it back on.

#3 . I've also had issues downloading from app store. I followed suggestions to clear app cache, did that and was able to download, but the problem would keep coming back.

Here is what I've done: Cleared cache on everything, Gone to storage, cleared cache there, Factory reset (more than once actually).
I've been searching all over for answers to my problem and came across a post about Android system webview needing to be updated and causing crashes. But I can't even find Android system webview on my phone. So I found it in the play store and it says that it's not compatible with my phones version.
I've already done the update on my phone and it says it's already to the latest version so I guess that 4.3 is a far as it intends to go. Oh and I've also tried taking out the battery for a few minutes and putting it back in. This didn't help.

Things I have not done: rooted my device. "flashed a rom" I don't even know what that means.

If you need any more information please let me know. I'm hoping not to have to buy a new phone. I've gotten so used to this one.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK...I have reread everything, and I had to search for your device. Is this it: Galaxy Stardust 8GB (TracFone) Phones - SM-S766CZAATFN | Samsung US

If so, I think a new device would be a good idea. The storage and memory on this phone is so low, that more modern apps will eat the RAM for breakfast. There is only 1 GB with the system usually reserving about 300-500 for itself. That's not a lot left for other apps. This is most likely why it is crashing. Chrome can be a large consumer of RAM, but if you have anything else like FB, games, etc, those won't be light either.

Are you thinking of staying with your carrier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton