Why can't I delete this specific file?

A

AC Question

I'm trying to delete a file that I downloaded recently, however the file has changed. it used to have data, and was example.mp4, but now it shows up with 0b, and is labeled as exampleߘȮmp4. i cannot delete, copy, do anything with it. It's now saying it was created in 1969 as well lol. I figure it's some sort of ghost file that doesn't really exist on my device but how do I remove it? I don't have the means to root my device. i've tried deleting it with ES Explorer and Total Commander, and both 'seemingly' worked. But upon refreshing or opening my default file manager, the file is back.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I believe that's just a placeholder or fragment file. You may make it go away with a cache clear, otherwise, just forget it.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you know where the file is located (which you must if you found it with ES), open a terminal app (you'll have to install one), cd to the folder the file is in, then

rm example*.mp4

Evidently the weird characters are giving all the apps you've used a problem. example*.mp4 includes that file so, as long as there aren't any other example mp4 files in that folder, you should be fine. (If there are, you'd have to see how to move all of them but one into a temporary folder, then rm (remove) that one, then move them all back.) You can't do it with a file manager app, you have to do it in Linux. Unless rm example?Ȯmp4 works (and you can figure out how to create Ȯ with your keyboard). Or rm example??.mp4 if that's the only mp4 file with 'example' plus 2 characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol