Why does my Galaxy A5 (2017)'s audio stop working?

A

AC Question

This is kinda frustrating for me. I've had my Galaxy A5 (2017) for almost a month now. Every day or so, I have an incident where the audio stops working, thus forcing me to restart the phone everytime. Given the fact that it's IP68 rated, could the fact that I dunked it in water twice have something to do with the audio issues, or do you think a software update will fix this? What should I do?

JustAnAndroidUser

Dec 25, 2017
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. Since restarting makes the problem go away temporarily, there's no way of knowing if the phone's ok because of Safe Mode or because to enter Safe Mode you have to turn the phone off. Just to be safe, I uninstalled a bunch of apps in hopes that one of them was causing the issue. However, 1 or 2 days later it occurred again. I'm incredibly frustrated. Did it work with yours?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
there's no way of knowing if the phone's ok because of Safe Mode or because to enter Safe Mode you have to turn the phone off.

I agree that it's somewhat tedious, but if it never happens in Safe Mode, then it's likely that a 3rd party app is causing the problem. Still, if it takes a day or so for the problem to crop up, it can be really inconvenient to use the phone in Safe Mode for that long to see if it still happens.

VaT121

May 3, 2020
Visit site
i just had this problem. i am not an expert, but it was an easy fix! You just have to get some cotton buds and some isopropil alcohol or rubbing alcohol it works with both and first clean the headphone jack to remove water or debree, then you get another cotton bud and dip it in isopropil alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and clean it on the inside of the jack. just be careful if you damage anything, not my fault! the isopropil alcohol vaporizes quickly and wont damage anything with corrosion and it will clean the copper pads, but won't ruin them. i know that the phone is waterproof, but water got in between the two pads in the headphone jack and did a short which caused the phone to think that there are headphones plugged in, and the software automaticly turned off your speaker. You can recognise that since when you try to turn up the volume on the phone to a certain point it says that the sound can damage your hearing, which it wont say if you don't have headphones plugged in. its not a software thing its all in that stupid little jack. BTW i recently noticed that the charging port has a water censor, which is pretty cool if you ask me! even iphone doesn't have that feature (i think) and its a phone from 2017. the problem occured when i dropped my phone in water. its not a big deal! restarting the phone helps for like 5 seconds until the phone recognises that thereis a short (are headphones plugged in). sorry if there are some gramatic mistakes im still in 7th grade.