I have Android Lollipop. Is there a way to search for files if I know the name? I know I can download various apps (which makes it confusing, which to get etc). But I'm sure there must be a search function, I just cant figure it out. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!
    Dan
    07-31-2017 09:35 AM
    Welcome to Android Central. Searching on an android device is not the same as Windows or a Mac. You will need a file manager app, there may be one on your device already. You won't be able to find a downloaded app from the Play store, they're in protected areas. If you directly download an apk file it should be in folder named "Downloads". Total Commander is a good file manager from the Play store. I would advise against ES File Explorer.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    07-31-2017 09:47 AM
    Total Commander's search function is pretty fast, but so is ES File Explorer's. the advantage with Total Commander is that in landscape mode you get 2 windows, so for copying (never Move, always copy first, then delete the originals), you can just drag & drop. ES has changed a bit more over the years than I like, but it's still a good file manager, and makes changing permissions easy.
    07-31-2017 12:33 PM