Does anyone know of a reversible way to root a Galaxy S7 (with a Snapdragon chipset) without losing any data? I need to recover a file from a root folder, but I don't want to permanently root my device to do it. If I lost my data while doing it, that would defeat the purpose. Thanks
    08-07-2017 12:47 PM
    I'm not sure that there is a way - good luck!
    08-07-2017 01:54 PM
    Assuming that the file was deleted, rooting a phone adds some files to it - and if one of them happens to land where that deleted file used to be, the deleted file is gone forever. There's no way to determine where installed files will go - there are too many things that combine to decide where to put a file for anyone to figure it out unless you can reproduce exactly what was done with the phone on a simulator running in a much larger computer.

But if you want to root the phone, first fully back it up (see Backing up an Android Device), have a look at https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7 Scroll down to the various carriers and choose yours. then look for a rooting method. (How you root a phone depends on which carrier it's for and which version of Android it's running.) Then root the phone and hope that the file you want is still there. (If it wasn't deleted, just root the phone and look for the file.)

Then flash the stock ROM back to the phone (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN) so there won't be any signs that it was ever rooted. Then restore everything from the backup.
    08-07-2017 02:08 PM