Phone plays random music, not from music apps

A

AC Question

Hi everyone,

My phone has developed a strange habit. At seemingly random times, it will play music from somewhere and I can't figure out where it's coming from or how to turn it off.

The music is always the same soundbyte, about a minute in length and sounds like it's from a commercial or advertisement. I don't own this song, and it runs even when force stopping any music app I have installed. It doesn't seem to be coming from my internet, as I've looked at all of my open tabs. I've thought about force closing any apps one at a time to see if it's a particular app, but as far as I can tell my phone only lists apps as "enabled" or "disabled," so I can't see which are running. Sometimes the music stops on its own but I typically run out of patience and restart the phone before then.

The music runs concurrently with any other sound I may be running at the time. (For instance, if I listen to music, both will come through the speakers at the same time.)

My phone is an LG G5 running Android 7.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dllbe

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Same problem. Started about a month and a half ago with weird music clip in the middle of the night - 3 am. Now its 3 pm and just randomly happened again but its sporadic. Found this "HAIKE news" app installed on my phone over the holidays and have deleted a bunch of what could have been malware. However, when I look into the notifications section of the phone, this "Haike news" app is still listed even though its been removed from the phone. Completed a factory reset a couple months ago, may do anohter. Currently doing a safe mode boot although the phone won't appear to boot and be stuck on the boot up screen. Android BLU 5.0 advance.

Neil_V

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Same problem. Started about a month and a half ago with weird music clip in the middle of the night - 3 am. Now its 3 pm and just randomly happened again but its sporadic. Found this "HAIKE news" app installed on my phone over the holidays and have deleted a bunch of what could have been malware. However, when I look into the notifications section of the phone, this "Haike news" app is still listed even though its been removed from the phone. Completed a factory reset a couple months ago, may do anohter. Currently doing a safe mode boot although the phone won't appear to boot and be stuck on the boot up screen. Android BLU 5.0 advance.

I was getting the same thing on the same phone, checked what apps are installed and found 3 strange ones: androidrbx, mfn and swak news. Deleted them and it seemed to fix the problem but they were back the next day. Factory reset kept them away for a few days but they keep reappearing. Installed AVL and a scan showed them as Malware, deleted using AVL but they still keep coming back.

Last edited:

Djamesp07

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
The music is from angry birds the issue started on my phone about a week ago. I found out that if I kill Chrome it goes away, but it keeps coming back out of nowhere. Anyone else find a permanent solution?

TruantGamer

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
So I am wondering if this is from a bad ad injection because we have been seeing this on iPads as well. The only fix we found was to wipe all browsing history and reset network connections. I suspected it was a specific online game site but after we blocked it on our network the issue returned again this week. Interesting that I have been only searching this as an iPad issue but here it is on this forum as well.

Precedence

Feb 15, 2019
Visit site
Had same problem. AT&T Galaxy S9+ recently upgraded to latest version of Android. Only stopped when I forced Chrome to stop. Did all the traditional troubleshooting and it turned out to be AppLock, which I've had did at least a year. Either latest app update or latest OS update caused the issue. I removed AppLock and music instantly stopped. If you have AppLock, try uninstalling.

Pridemore

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Have the same problem. Galaxy s22 ultra. No notification for sound. Only way I've found to stop it was to turn on airplane mode. Turn wifi on. Should be good enough till we figure out permanent solution.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Have the same problem. Galaxy s22 ultra. No notification for sound. Only way I've found to stop it was to turn on airplane mode. Turn wifi on. Should be good enough till we figure out permanent solution.
Welcome to AC!

Check any 3rd party apps or applications causing this
If you go into safe mode and doesn't happen then most definitely 3rd party app

Pridemore

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
I've already checked third party apps. And I only have two installed on my phone. LinkedIn and tiktok. I've also run a malware check it did come up with two hits those have been dealt with and I did a spyware check with the other software I have. That was a negative scan. The only time I don't get any problems with it is when I go into airplane mode but turn on my Wi-Fi so I can get text messages and phone calls

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've already checked third party apps. And I only have two installed on my phone. LinkedIn and tiktok. I've also run a malware check it did come up with two hits those have been dealt with and I did a spyware check with the other software I have. That was a negative scan. The only time I don't get any problems with it is when I go into airplane mode but turn on my Wi-Fi so I can get text messages and phone calls
How often does it play music?
I would still try safe mode it will leave both WiFi and mobile data on

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried Nice Catch to see if it finds the culprit?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure it isn't some sort of notification from a website via Chrome. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Site Settings>Notifications, and see if there are any sites there that have permission to give notifications.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Make sure it isn't some sort of notification from a website via Chrome. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Site Settings>Notifications, and see if there are any sites there that have permission to give notifications.
Turn notification off all together from chrome would be the way I go about it .