I get a connection at any location where I have to put in a password but not at airports where no password is needed. My phone shows wifi connected but i can't access the internet. Google will show a unsecure message. When I go to Settings/General/about phone/network/Mobile network state shows not connected
    08-11-2017 09:26 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I get this from time to time. In the browser, what happens if you enter any URL, like nytimes.com? Do you get the same message, or does that prompt the airport's wi-fi login page to show up?

Also, do you know if you ever disabled a system app called CaptivePortalLogin? Go to Settings>Apps and see if it's disabled. If so, then reenable it, and then try to connect to the wi-fi again -- this might prompt the Captive Portal popup to appear with the login page.
    08-11-2017 12:08 PM
    In addition, if the wifi name is usually the same, delete that connection. The phone may have connected to an open wifi of that name in the past, and from then on it considers that name to be the name of an open (no password or login) wifi. Forgetting it will allow the phone to handle password or login requests properly.

But as B. Diddy says, the usual solution is to run your web browser and try to get to some page (any page) - that triggers the login page on most airport systems.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-11-2017 12:39 PM