I just got my S8, not a big fan of the stock keyboard. I searched the forums for this question, but didn't find anything. Is there a keyboard app that DOESN'T collect information. Including passwords & cc numbers? Gboard, Swiftkey and Swype all claimed they 'may.' That doesn't sit right with me.
    08-11-2017 11:47 AM
    They may collect data - but not passwords and cc numbers. The type of data they collect is things like how many times you selected the suggested word, how often you switched fron the alpha keyboard to the numeric keyboard, etc. And they don't collect any information about who you are. It's just to let them know how well their word suggestions are working, whether the layout is easy to use, etc. They want statistics, not your data. Almost all keyboards do it. (Those that don't are written by a single person, who doesn't have time to go through the statistics - and probably didn't write a very good keyboard.) In about 5 years of using SwiftKey, which does collect statistics, I've never seen a charge on my cc that I didn't make myself. And I've never had a password compromised. (Of course I don't reuse passwords either - I have a different 20 random character password for each site.)
    Scott337, Xsie and Aquila like this.
    08-11-2017 01:08 PM
    08-11-2017 03:02 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170811-160038.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	265584
    I get that with SK and Swype too!
    08-11-2017 03:02 PM
    They may collect data - but not passwords and cc numbers. The type of data they collect is things like how many times you selected the suggested word, how often you switched fron the alpha keyboard to the numeric keyboard, etc. And they don't collect any information about who you are. It's just to let them know how well their word suggestions are working, whether the layout is easy to use, etc. They want statistics, not your data. Almost all keyboards do it. (Those that don't are written by a single person, who doesn't have time to go through the statistics - and probably didn't write a very good keyboard.) In about 5 years of using SwiftKey, which does collect statistics, I've never seen a charge on my cc that I didn't make myself. And I've never had a password compromised. (Of course I don't reuse passwords either - I have a different 20 random character password for each site.)
    I took a screenshot...
    08-11-2017 06:29 PM
    If the keyboard did not have the ability to accept your input, interpret it and pass it on to the app you're interacting with, how do you propose it does it's job? It's simply the nature of an on-screen keyboard that if it's an app there is the POTENTIAL it could use the data you input for alternate purposes. Do they do that? Well, that's up to you to research and decide. Google is simply trying to make sure you're aware of the possibility, that does not mean it's actually happening.
    08-11-2017 07:00 PM
    Here's the thing....if they all did this maliciously, I think the whole world would have heard about it by now.

I think the password disclaimer is for if you want Chrome to auto fill your password.
    Xsie likes this.
    08-11-2017 07:27 PM
    Here's the thing....if they all did this maliciously, I think the whole world would have heard about it by now.

I think the password disclaimer is for if you want Chrome to auto fill your password.
    You gotta point there. Call me paranoid 😊
    08-11-2017 07:28 PM
    I took a screenshot...
    Note that it says may. It means it has the rights but keyboards like Gboard and SwiftKey don't collect that information.
    Xsie likes this.
    08-11-2017 07:32 PM
    Note that it says may. It means it has the rights but keyboards like Gboard and SwiftKey don't collect that information.
    Did you lol at my picture? Read it?
    08-11-2017 07:52 PM
    Did you lol at my picture? Read it?
    Yes.. it says may collect.
    08-11-2017 07:59 PM
    Sorry, I meant for the other guy
    08-11-2017 08:01 PM