Question about custom rom safety/security

A

AC Question

Hey guys, so I’m a fairly new android user. On S7 Edge running stock nougat touchwiz firmware. I am very interested in trying a custom rom like remix resurrection to get a snappier stock android performance and have things like software navigation buttons on screen but a couple of things worry me a little.
Stock firmwares have security updates etc. How safe is it to use a custom rom, like a well known one? What’s stopping the maker of a custom rom from baking in some malware or virus that collects data/passwords and other private information? How often does this happen and does it happen at all? Is it safe to use a custom rom as a daily driver in terms of security?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. As with anything outside of approved sources you take your chances. Sources like XDA would be fairly secure, but there are no guarantees. I also see many questions here from users who have either bricked their devices or get into situations they have no knowledge of from doing exactly what you propose.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
But ... Remix Resurrection is known to be a pretty decent ROM. Although the developer doesn't keep up with security fixes, so in a few months or so, when a new threat comes out, you'll probably be switching to another custom ROM that was created from a stock ROM that had protection from that threat. (And make sure it's the RR ROM for your model of the S7. If you flash a ROM made for another model phone, you risk a hard brick (bricking the phone in a way that can't be recovered from - a soft brick can always be recovered from by booting into the download screen and flashing the stock ROM).